In the Face of Adversity: a Conversation with Mignonne Hollis

For my podcast, I considered interviewing numerous black women in positions of political leadership. I thought of local representatives or the mayors of nearby towns. Eventually, I realized that I was close to an individual with years of experience in the world of economics, policy, and persevering in the face of adversity. This person was my aunt, Mignonne Hollis.

I had gone into this interview with a specific set of questions that touched on her career and the field of economics in a broad sense. I didn’t anticipate going down a sort of rabbit hole of learning more and more about my aunt’s political philosophies, as well as the various obstacles she has had to face and overcome throughout her experience as a political and economic leader. I had never spoken to my aunt about her job in such a detailed manner before; I was vaguely aware that she worked in economics, and that she often worked with conservative voters in the course of her career. However, our conversation gave me valuable insight into the world that my aunt faced every day in her profession. 

Being a young, Black woman in an area like rural Arizona meant that there were many times that my aunt had to work with people who didn’t like seeing her have a seat at the table. In order to further her causes and accomplish her professional goals, she often had to use specific tactics in confronting racism and sexism in the workplace. She also had to make the personal decision of sacrificing recognition and credit for her work in order to make sure the work got done.

The fact that my aunt has become such a prominent and successful figure in her field speaks volumes in her ability to navigate the difficult political landscape of southern Arizona. I feel very privileged in having the opportunity to learn more about her work.

Emily Hollis

Music: “Once Again” from Bensound’s Royalty Free Music Copyright © 2012-2020, https://www.bensound.com

Photo: “About Us.” Southwest Black Chamber of Commerce, http://www.southwestblackchamber.org/about-us/