Cattle prices strong, last Market News report and retirement (none of which are connected!)

While volatility is still inherent, the price of cattle in general is strong across all classes.

This will be the final Market News Report as funding was not secured to continue this service. This has been a voluntary program on part of the auction barns, so I would like to sincerely thank them for allowing the reporters to collect and publish data. The Livestock Market News program has provided transparency in price discovery for livestock and proved useful to many farmers. Thank you for the dedication of the reporters. Their expertise was at the heart of the program. Finally thank you to the Commissioner Richard Ball, Department of Agriculture and Markets for 4 years of funding to make this program possible. Mike Baker, Cornell Beef Extension Specialist.

Additionally, my last day of work as Cornell Beef Extension Specialist is June 30, 2021. I will be retiring on that date. I cannot imagine having a better job than in Extension. Getting to work with farmers, educators, ag service providers and policy makers has been my honor. It is one of the few jobs I know of where you I learned something new every day.

Full report.