How to Spend Fall Break with Family in NYC

Meet Landon Hale, a fourth-year architecture student at AAP NYC (BArch 25′). In his latest blog post, Landon shares the captivating narrative of his eventful fall break spent with family in the vibrant neighborhoods of New York City. They explored iconic landmarks like Dumbo and savored culinary delights at Time Out Market, which ended with a memorable evening at the historic Delmonico’s restaurant.

October 9th, Monday: The third day of fall break. It was an eventful day, filled with a myriad of unique and inspiring decisions and experiences, all dependent on successfully accommodating my father for his upcoming arrival in New York City. As I write this piece in reflection, I am grateful for being able to spend the fall break with one of my favorite people in the whole world.

Nothing Like Family

The day marked a special occasion as my father made a long-awaited visit to the Big Apple. Still recovering from a lively night out with my roommates, I woke up groggily, struggling to lift myself from my oh-so-tender bedsheets. It turns out my dad chose to surprise me with a visit, and when my phone suddenly rang, he informed me that he was waiting for me in the lobby of my student housing complex.  I dashed out of bed, made for the door, and hopped onto the elevator. Moments later, I saw my father standing with two big bags on either side of his waist, loaded with essentials from Trader Joe’s—a life-saving shopping-on-a-budget resource for us students here in the city. Unprepared for his visit, I couldn’t help but feel a little guilty that I wasn’t equally prepared. I picked up the goodies, waved him through security, and took him up to my room. As I showed him around my quaint Brooklyn Heights apartment, I shook off my feelings of guilt. I remembered that I had prepared a memorable journey for us to explore the vibrant neighborhoods of New York and indulge in some of the city’s finest delights.

Dumbo (Not the Movie!)

Immediately following my guided tour through my student housing complex, I took my father out onto the bustling streets of Brooklyn. We strolled past the iconic Brooklyn Brownstones, with him teasing me about my privilege in landing a spot in a building with a subway stop built into it.

Embracing the charm of Brooklyn Heights:
A snapshot of the iconic brownstone-lined streets. Oct, 8th, 2023 / image by Landon Hale BArch 25′

As we walked through Dumbo,” one of Brooklyn’s most photogenic neighborhoods, we passed shops and restaurants that only New York could offer: the world-famous Grimaldi’s, a Michelin Star Ramen Shop, another Halal cart, and more. Even though it was an overcast day, we immortalized our experiences with numerous photographs and videos against the backdrop of the majestic Manhattan Bridge.

Father-son moments against the backdrop of Dumbo’s enchanting
boardwalk and the majestic Manhattan Bridge. Oct. 8th, 2023.
/ image by Landon Hale BArch 25′

Eventually, we reached Time Out Market, a food market filled with high-end grab-and-go restaurants offering anything you could think of, from Nashville Hot Chicken (nothing like home) to plant-forward fusion dishes. I had to put on my “delayed gratification cap” as I showed him around, resisting the temptation of the donut stand. Eventually, we reached the rooftop. Note that when you step out of the Time Out Building elevator, you will catch a glimpse of the past, seeing a collection of original Time Out Magazines on the wall. Turns out Time Out Magazine is where the top activities in New York City were listed before the internet, or so my dad says. The highlight of our culinary escapade was undoubtedly during our visit to the DOUGH shop, where we indulged in the decadence of their delectable, thick, schlyummy vegan donuts. From our spontaneous tour around Dumbo to our pit stop at the renowned Time Out Market, the day was an amalgamation of delightful moments and cherished conversations. Despite these tender moments, the night was still young.

New York’s Own, Delmonico’s

As the day drew to a close, we hurried to catch the subway to our evening’s highlight. A quick hop down the subway stairs and a skip onto the 2 train, we arrived after only one stop. After a short walk, we found ourselves immersed in the warm ambiance of New York’s world-famous restaurant, Delmonico’s. Most people have no idea that the restaurant itself has been around since before the Statue of Liberty was built. The restaurant had a relaxed richness, and one could smell the history in the air. As much as I would love to share the details of our visit, I believe it is better for prospective students and visitors to experience it for themselves.

Savoring history at Delmonico’s in the heart of New York City. Oct, 8th, 2023. / image provided by Landon Hale BArch 25′
Father-son feast: Indulging in delectable appetizers,
savoring shared moments and flavors. Oct, 8th, 2023. / image provided by Landon Hale BArch 25′

I ordered a signature Delmonico’s steak that received my “chef’s kiss” of approval. Even better, there were leftovers! All in all, our evening was filled with introspection, gratitude, and an overwhelming sense of love.

In the “City that Never Sleeps,” one can tire out pretty quickly. I recommend making the most of your fall break in New York City by planning visits with family and friends, discovering fun spots, and treating yourself to something nice because I know you’ve been working hard to get here!