& Juliet: A Must-See Performance!

The latest AAP NYC blog post is by Fabia St-Juste, a Junior in the B.F.A. program, studying in New York City for the Spring 2023 semester. In this article, Fabia shares thoughts on the performance of & Juliet on March 8, 2023, at the Stephen Sondheim Theatre.

Cast of & Juliet. Image courtesy of Matthew Murphy.

In high school, I was a theater kid. When I tell people this fact about myself, they are often quite surprised, since I usually present myself as very reserved. In other words, I don’t typically present as someone that most would imagine loved being on stage. However, since my first performance, where I played a Who from Whoville in Seussical,  I’ve felt deeply connected to the transformative process of breathing life into a story. Undeniably, I have found a piece of myself in each performance I have been in, which has given me confidence in living my own life. Since high school, I’ve been able to engage in almost every aspect of theatre, from acting to technical assistance and even writing my own plays. With this history and great appreciation for theatre, I went and saw my first Broadway show: & Juliet

& Juliet first premiered in November 2019 at the Shaftesbury Theatre in London’s West End. A jukebox musical, the show included pop songs by Swedish songwriter and producer Max Martin, who has collaborated with popular performers including Taylor Swift, the Backstreet Boys, and more. The plot of the show is a turbulent coming-of-age tale.

We’ve all heard of “Romeo and Juliet,” a tragic Shakespearean play of star-crossed lovers. & Juliet is a retelling of this fabled tragedy, with the plot of the musical following Juliet as she embarks on a voyage of self-discovery rather than committing suicide. A present-day twist on a timeless story, the performance was thrilling. It had an energetic cast, stage sparklers, and an extensive lineup of hit songs. No doubt, there were plenty of my favorite songs like Hit Me Baby One More Time (Britney Spears), Roar (Katy Perry), and Oops!.. I Did It Again (also performed by the lovely Miss Spears). I spent most of the night at the edge of my seat, trying so hard not to sing along. 

But this story is not just a nostalgic 2000s hits album: it’s a true girl boss, action-packed tale about standing your ground, living life your way, and at your own pace. In the background, there are also lots of interesting dynamics between the characters. In the play, we are introduced to the characters of William Shakespeare (actor Stark Sands, two-time Tony award nominee) and his wife Anne Hathaway (actress Betsy Wolfe), who is one of the biggest driving forces being this rendition of the famous tragedy. Anne implores William to change the ending and then self-inserts herself into the narrative as “April,” one of Juliet’s supportive best friends.

Juliet and her nursemaid, Angelique. Image courtesy of Today Tix.

The story begins with Romeo’s death and Juliet (actress Lorna Courtney) deciding not to kill herself. Yet, when her parents find out about her previous plans to elope and run away with the now-deceased Romeo, they decide to send Juliet to a covenant. Unwilling to accept this ending, Juliet runs away to Paris with April (Anne), May (her non-binary friend), and Angelique (her nursemaid). And this is where the true adventure begins.

I could go on and on about the plot. But I strongly recommend that you watch it yourself because I definitely won’t give any more spoilers! If you’re looking for a thrilling and modern take on a classic tale, then you should definitely check out & Juliet. This jukebox musical offers a refreshing and empowering twist on the story of Romeo and Juliet, with an energetic cast and a soundtrack full of mainstream pop songs. As someone who has always loved theatre, I can say that this production truly delivered. 

Beyond the music and the story, & Juliet also offers thought-provoking insights on diversity and the role of women in storytelling. With characters like Anne Hathaway, who plays a pivotal role in the narrative, the play challenges the notion that classic tales are fixed and unchangeable. Instead, it encourages us to rethink these stories and find ways to make them more inclusive and empowering for everyone.

When I watched & Juliet, I was reminded of the power of theatre to transport us to different worlds and connect us to the characters’ emotions. The show’s energetic cast and catchy pop songs made for an unforgettable night. If you’re a theatre enthusiast or simply looking for a fun and engaging experience, I highly recommend seeing & Juliet. The production is a fantastic example of how the arts can inspire us and bring joy into our lives.