Around the Neighborhood

I’ve got a grand idea – let’s chase each other around the neighborhood! That way you can learn a little bit about the area around our studio near Union Square.

First, we disembark from the 6 train. Or the 5 trian. Or the 4 train. Whatever train we got here on, we get off it. And the chase is on!

Up the stairs to Union Square.

market

Today is Friday and the farmers’ market is in session selling all sorts of tasty treats that have been trucked in from farms and bakeries throughout New York City and Beyond. My favorite: hunks of banana bread from one of the bakery stands. My friends have other favorites, especially a rather delicious variety of apple known as Honeycrisp. These apples are so delectable it’s like eating an apple grown in Heaven! Though I seriously doubt whether they were grown there. (Apples have been banned in Heaven for years. You know the story.)

apples

Ah, you’ve spotted me! I’m next to the Starbucks on the corner of 17th and Union Square West. If you’re hungry we could grab a bite here – there’s Pret a Manger (That’s ‘Ready to Eat!’ in French), a Chipotle, a McDonald’s, a Chop’t. You don’t know about Chop’t Creative Salad? Short for ‘Chop It,’ Chop’t is one of those modern health-crazed fast food joints that specializes in scrumptious salads. You order the ingredients and then they ‘chop it’ all up right before your eyes. How delightful!

chop't

Oh. You’re not hungry but you need new clothes? You’re in luck. Just over there, on 5th Ave. there are all sorts of hip places you might like: Banana Republic, Gap, Kenneth Cole, H&M and American Apparel just to name a few.

street

You’re just hungry for dessert? Next to studio there’s a small basement bakery called Nanas where, if you are lucky enough to be a girl when the brother of the owner is on duty, you can escape with about three times the amount of banana bread, chocolate chip cookies or danishes for the same amount of money as a guy pays. There’s also a cute little Belgian café called Petite Abeille that advertises “Half-priced Belgian beer Monday from noon ‘till close.” The price reduction is worth it, considering many of the beers are normally ten dollars.

belgian

You don’t have to decide anything right off. Let me drop my laptop off at studio and then maybe you can chase me down 8th avenue. If we head down there, cut across 13th, then take a left on Greenwhich, there’s A Salt and Battery, this fish and chips outfit run by authentic Brits. It is so delicious that Bobby Flay (of Food Network fame) took note and challenged the owners to a ‘throwdown’ on his Food Network show Throwdown with Bobby Flay, where culinary master Flay pits his skills against successful restaurateurs all across the country.

a salt and abttery

While you’re at A Salt and Battery, scan the walls to find the scorecard from the throwdown: Bobby Flay lost. You’ll taste why. (Click the link below to see part of the episode.)

Throwdown with Bobby Flay: A Salt and Battery

You want to come up and see my studio? OK, but be careful. Don’t go running into the building. We don’t want to upset Mr. Grump, the doorman. He’s very nice to most people – I walk in and he’ll be laughing and joking with someone. But not with me. I make it a point to say “Good morning,” to which he says nothing. He just stares in the other direction and doesn’t mouth a word. I find this rude. Maybe you’ll find it endearing.

You’d rather just stay here and work? That’s probably best. We have a review tomorrow. Let’s order something. Basta Pasta is supposed to have great Italian food; my Italian professor from Cornell said so…

Next week: An update on class trips. Masha Panteleyeva’s history class toured the Tenement Museum (Il Laboratorio del Gelato is just across the street), which afforded a glimpse into the unglamorous history of New York City’s residential past. Jill Lerner’s Professional Practice class visited to the architecture offices of Morphosis and Perkins + Will.