Dear Romance Studies Faculty, Graduate Students and Staff,

Pat yourselves on the on the back for making it through another week of Q-Life (Q = Quarantine)! I’m looking forward to the nice weather in the forecast for tomorrow so I can poke around in the garden, and throw the frisbee for my dog. I hope you will be able to get out and enjoy the sunshine, which has been far too rare so far this spring.

Mutual Aid Tompkins

Blue pantry cupboardThis Facebook group may have been mentioned in a previous update, but it’s worth mentioning again. This is a group of local folks helping each other through this crisis. Some people need help, others give help, and there’s a lot of useful information posted here as well. The group’s greatest accomplishment to date has been the coordinated effort around establishing pop-up pantries around the county, to make free, non-perishable food available to those in need. Pop-up panties were installed today in the Village of Dryden and in Newfield. There are a handful of pantries already in Ithaca, and I think there’s one in Trumansburg as well. The contents are available to any one in need, and they accept donations of non-perishable food and other household items (diapers, cleaning products, etc…) as well.

Some Good News (SGN for short)

To end the week on a high note, if you’re looking for some good news, I highly recommend tuning in to John Krasinki’s (The Office (US), Jack Ryan) “Some Good News” videos on YouTube. The 15-20 minute videos consist of various good news stories Krasinki would like to share with the world. Guest stars have included Steve Carrell, Rainn Wilson, Brad Pitt and Billie Eilish. The videos are cute and heartwarming, and just what’s needed to restore your faith in humanity.

Stay well, stay home and stay in touch,

Mary Beth