2018 Transfer FAQs for Fall Applicants

Question: I just submitted my application. How can I know that you received it, and what else is needed?

Once we receive and process your application, we will email you with an ApplicantID and PIN. Use this to check the status of your application: http://admissions.cornell.edu/apply/transfer-applicants/check-application-status. To see what else is needed to complete your file, use the online application status account, and the Transfer Application Checklist.

Question: I sent an item two weeks ago and it’s not reflected on my online account. Should I resend it?

Please continue to check the status of your application http://admissions.cornell.edu/apply/transfer-applicants/check-application-status, as we continue to process all of the materials we’ve recently received. Expect a delay of up to two weeks. Please do not resubmit any items at this time. If you are missing any required items, we will notify you via email in early April and provide an opportunity for you to submit those missing items at no penalty.

Question: Does Cornell offer scholarships?

As an Ivy League institution, Cornell is prohibited from offering athletic and merit scholarships. The assistance we do offer is in the form of need-based financial aid, and packages will vary based on your demonstrated need.

Cornell University meets full demonstrated financial need for all admitted students who are United States citizens or permanent residents. Undergraduate students who hold DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) status granted by the federal government will be considered domestic students by Cornell University for purposes of admissions and financial aid, and thus are eligible for need-blind admissions and need-based financial aid like any U.S. citizen or permanent resident. To learn more about financial aid at Cornell, please visit http://finaid.cornell.edu.

Admissions decisions for international applicants and undocumented applicants without DACA status will be need-aware. This means that they will be evaluated for admission with consideration of the ability of students or parents to pay educational costs. Students who are admitted and demonstrate financial need will receive a financial aid package that meets 100% of their demonstrated financial need (Cornell University does not provide partial financial aid awards). To learn more about financial aid for international students at Cornell, please visit http://finaid.cornell.edu/apply-aid/international-applicants.

Question: Does Cornell offer an application fee waiver?

In order to complete your application, you must fulfill the application fee requirement by either paying the $80 fee online via the application you applied with or applying for a fee waiver. To apply for a fee waiver, follow the instructions on the application you applied with AND submit the NACAC transfer fee waiver, a letter from a transfer advisor, the financial aid office at your current college/university, or a representative of a social service/community agency stating that the fee would cause financial hardship. If you have questions about this process, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at transfer@cornell.edu.

Question: I’m on the quarter system. How do I approach the Mid-Term Report?

Before making a final decision on your application for admission, we want to know about your current performance in all courses you are taking in the term immediately before you plan to enroll at Cornell.

If formal mid-term grades are given, please wait until those grades are available and then send us the report with your grade information. If no formal mid-term grades are given, please print the form and carry it to each professor, asking for your current grade in the class to be recorded.

For applicants on the quarter-system, please submit the mid-term report with a note that the winter quarter just concluded and those grades are reported on your most current transcript.

The form can be submitted online (https://forms.admissions.cornell.edu/webform/admissions/submit.php) by April 15 at the latest.

Question: I’m not currently enrolled in college. Do I need to submit the mid-term report?

Yes! The mid-term report is required. Please write a note on the mid-term report that you are not currently enrolled and submit the form online at https://forms.admissions.cornell.edu/webform/admissions/submit.php. This will fulfill the requirement.

Question: How do I submit the mid-term report?

You may submit the form online at https://forms.admissions.cornell.edu/webform/admissions/submit.php.

Question: How do I submit additional items such as updates and supplemental letters of recommendation?

The most efficient method of including supplemental items or letters with a file is to submit them online at https://forms.admissions.cornell.edu/webform/admissions/submit.php. Please be sure to include your Student Application ID number on this form. Fall applicants have until April 15 to submit supplemental materials for their files.

Question: Can a Teaching Assistant or a Research Mentor complete the academic evaluation?

To fulfill the academic evaluation requirement, please have a college professor who has taught you a course complete this evaluation. The professor may submit this online via the application you applied with (Common Application or Universal College Application), or the recommender may email the letter to transfer@cornell.edu.

You may have an additional letter submitted on your behalf (submit online at https://forms.admissions.cornell.edu/webform/admissions/submit.php) but only a college professor will satisfy the academic evaluation requirement.

Question: Can I email my transcript to Cornell?

Emailed high school transcripts cannot be accepted as official. Please request your high school to mail an official copy of your transcript to Cornell. If you have an official high school transcript, we would accept a certified copy (notarized or certified to be a true copy of the original). Mailing instructions are online at http://admissions.cornell.edu/contact/application-mailing-instructions.

Colleges may send an official eTranscript to undergradapp@cornell.edu. If your college does not have an official eTranscript, please have them mail it to Cornell.

Question: I can’t submit everything by the deadline. Can I still apply?

The application, supplement, and fee (or fee waiver) must be submitted by the March 15, 2018 deadline. It is acceptable for supporting items, such as test scores, letters, and transcripts, to arrive shortly after the deadline.