Dear SIPS Community,
I want to highlight the #ShutDownSTEM movement happening Wednesday June 10th. SIPS, CALS, Cornell, AAAS and many other scientific societies are supportive of this movement. The short- and long-term plan of the movement is ‘to eradicate racism and create a just, equitable and inclusive STEM field.’ Check out these links for more information and ‘make a commitment towards education, action and healing.’
In the spirit of our commitment to action, I will be postponing the SIPS executive committee tomorrow, and devoting the July meeting for EC members to discuss actions they will take to seed a culture of change in their sections.
Congratulations to USDA NIFA graduate research fellowship awardees, and CALS Outstanding TA awardees!
- Nihranz and Ayer awarded USDA NIFA fellowships
- Congratulations to SIPS recipients of CALS Outstanding TA Awards
While we are happy to have moved into phase 2 of reopening in our region, many in SIPS have been personally impacted by the disease. Please continue to remember those that have lost their lives during the pandemic and be mindful that the actions of each of can have a serious impact on others. We can reduce the spread of Covid-19; wear a mask, maintain social distancing, wash hands.
Many lab reactivation plans have been approved. If yours has not, and you have questions you can contact your section chair or me. A few important points
- Complete your Qualtrics survey every day you come to campus. The survey can be found here
- Wear a mask when you are inside a Cornell facility
- Every person that comes onto campus should have taken the EH&S Covid-19 training
- Workers should receive a copy of the lab reactivation plan from their PI
Congratulations to the following people who were recognized with a SIPS Kudos in the last month! Thanks for your effort and passion in support of SIPS.
- Going Above & Beyond: Amy Andersen (x2!), Cindy Twardokus, Dan Ilut, Donna Loeb, Elizabeth Lamb, Ian Bishop, Kate Keagle, Larissa Osterbaan, Mary Schwarz, Nick Kaczmar
- Inspirational Leadership: Tami Payne, Chris Smart
- Strong Team Spirit: Alicia Caswell, Amy Collins
PLEASE remember to recognize people in our SIPS community that have gone out of their way to enhance our School. All you have to do is complete the brief form here