Discovery that Connects

Science-based innovation for a changing world

August update from SIPS Director Chris Smart

Dear SIPS Community:

This summer has flown by! I don’t know about you, but I certainly agreed to participate in FAR too many things this summer and I’m running a bit behind schedule.

Many of us have attended scientific meetings and I’ve heard fantastic things about Botany 2018 (Annual Meeting of the Botanical Society of America and the American Society of Plant Taxonomists), the American Society for Horticultural Science 2018 Annual Conference, and the 2018 International Congress of Plant Pathology. Congratulations to those that won awards, and I hope everyone enjoyed hearing about great science and networking with colleagues. Read more about contributions and awards at the links provided.

Faculty search updates:

• Assistant/Associate Professor of International Cropping Systems. I’m pleased to announce that Andy McDonald has accepted Cornell’s offer and will be starting January 1, 2019.
  • Assistant/Associate Professor of Plant-Microbe Biology. An offer has been made to the top candidate and negotiations are ongoing.
  • Assistant/Associate Professor of Grape Disease Ecology & Epidemiology (Geneva Campus). This search will re-open next month and Tom Burr will be the chair of the search committee.
  • Other search committees are being formed and updates on all of our new searches will begin next month.

SIPS Kudos

Congratulations to the following people who were recognized with a SIPS Kudos in the last month! Thanks for your effort and passion in support of SIPS.

• Kim Cotton
  • Craig Cramer (recognized twice!!)
  • Fiona Doherty
  • Tara Reed
  • Michele Blackmore
  • Marcia Eames-Sheavly
  • Lori Brewer
  • Alicia Caswell
  • Amy Lanfair

If you would like to recognize anyone in SIPS, complete the brief form here:
https://sips.cals.cornell.edu/news-events/sips-staff-kudos/

All the best,
Chris