Updated August 6, 2019
- 1 Welcome to the newly renovated Uris Cocktail Lounge!
- 2 What are the changes to the Cocktail Lounge?
- 3 How can I access the space?
- 4 What are its hours of operation?
- 5 How did you choose the furniture?
- 6 Here are some images from a Reunion event hosted at the Cocktail Lounge!
- 7 Whom should I contact if I need more information?
Welcome to the newly renovated Uris Cocktail Lounge!
The Cocktail Lounge (also known as the Uris Addition) is now fully open! Created in 1982, it features a more contemporary look, cozier and more versatile furniture, and study areas better equipped for both individual and group work. With increased accessibility, it’s also fully ADA compliant. In planning this renovation, Cornell University Library also partnered with Cornell Police to provide a welcoming, accessible, and secure 24-hour study area for the campus community.
What are the changes to the Cocktail Lounge?
The overall structure is the same, but the furnishings, equipment, and study areas have been remodeled. The changes include:
- A variety of task-oriented and cozy seating options, including more lounge-like furniture and tables and chairs of different heights
- Seating areas designed to maximize views of Libe Slope
- Reservable study rooms with improved task furniture, ready for plug-and-play group work (i.e., easy connections for laptops)
- Restrooms upgraded to meet ADA access standards, and an all-gender restroom added
- More electrical outlets
- New carpeting and interior lighting
- A vending area with hot beverages
How can I access the space?
The Cocktail Lounge may still be accessed via the Austen Room during regular Uris Library building hours, but, for the first time since 1982, the south entrance facing Willard Straight Hall is also open! You need your Cornell ID to enter through that side of the building. The exterior pathway has been regraded to accommodate wheelchair access, and it is well-lit and visible from Ho Plaza and Willard Straight Hall. Additionally, an in-ground heating system mitigates ice and snow accumulation.
Please note that the Austen Room entry is closed when Uris Library is closed. After regular building hours, please use the south entrance to enter and leave the Cocktail Lounge. A security camera and security call station are installed at each of the entrances.
What are its hours of operation?
To see the most up-to-date schedule, please visit https://www.library.cornell.edu/libraries/uris.
How did you choose the furniture?
By listening to you! Last spring, students tested furniture for several weeks and shared feedback. In addition, we conducted interviews to learn more about what works best for you. (Read about the testing process in the Cornell Daily Sun.)
Here are some images from a Reunion event hosted at the Cocktail Lounge!
Whom should I contact if I need more information?
If you have more questions about the renovation, please contact our facilities planning manager, Jon Ladley: