Tips for contacting potential faculty advisors

Essential First Steps in the Admissions Process:

Graduate students in the Natural Resources and the Environment (NRE) field at Cornell enter our research degree programs (MS, PhD) after identifying the faculty member they will work with. Therefore, it is crucial that all applicants communicate with and secure sponsorship from a faculty advisor during the application process. Applicants need to provide the name of their prospective advisor when submitting their application. A faculty member must sponsor and present an applicant’s materials to the admissions committee for the application to be considered.

Tips for Contacting Potential Advisors:

We recommend exploring potential advisors’ websites to learn about their research, interests, publications, and labs. Check if these websites offer guidance for prospective students and follow the provided instructions for reaching out. You can find which faculty members in our field are considering accepting students for the 2025-2026 academic year here.

Note that preference is often given to students with work experience beyond a bachelor’s degree and to those with research experience. While this is not a strict requirement, most of our students have gained some experience beyond their undergraduate studies.

If you have external funding (e.g., through an NSF or Fulbright fellowship), be sure to mention this in your email.

When to start:

We encourage you to reach out to potential advisors during the summer or early fall for a subsequent fall matriculation date. This timing allows sufficient time to determine whether there is a good match between your research interests and those of your prospective advisor. The most effective way to contact advisors is typically by email, but be sure to follow any specific instructions provided on the advisor’s website. A sample email structure is provided below to help you begin your correspondence.

What to say:

In your email, briefly introduce yourself and describe your research interests, explaining why you are interested in working with this particular advisor. Advisors do not expect you to have a fully formed research project but rather want to know the general research topics that interest you and why. Articulating why a certain research topic excites you- whether it’s due to past experience or the importance of the topic- is what advisors are looking for.

Your email should be concise, ideally two short paragraphs.

Additionally, briefly describe your educational background and any past research experiences. If you lack research experience, mention relevant work or personal experiences that relate to your research interests. If you have clear career goals, such as working in government, the nonprofit sector, or academia, feel free to include this information as well.

Be sure to attach a CV or resume to your email.

Follow-ups:

If you don’t receive a response, feel free to send a follow-up email after two weeks. Don’t take it personally if you don’t hear back—advisors can be very busy, and your initial email may have arrived at a bad time. For your second email, it’s fine to resend the first, with a brief note at the top, such as: “Dear Dr. [Name], I am following up to ensure you received my earlier email inquiring about graduate work…”

If, after two emails, you still don’t receive a response, it may be best to move on and assume that the advisor is not taking students.

Timing:

The Field of Natural Resources and the Environment has rolling admissions but follows these application submission deadlines:

Spring admissions: Submit your application by November 1st.

Fall admissions (to be considered for university fellowships): Submit your application by December 1st.

Fall admissions (not considered for university fellowships): Submit your application by March 1st.

_______________________

Example Email to a Potential Advisor:

As an example, you can use the following email structure. However, be sure to describe your research interests, reasons for wanting to join the advisor’s lab, and your background in your own words. It is essential to convey genuine enthusiasm for the research you wish to pursue!

Dear Dr. [Name],

I am writing to express my interest in your research and to inquire about the availability of PhD positions in your laboratory beginning [start date]. I am currently completing my MS degree at [X University] and plan to graduate in [month, year]. [If applicable: I have received a [XXX fellowship] that will fund three years of my PhD program.]

I am interested in researching [general research area]. My past [related research/work/coursework/personal experience] has involved [brief description]. For my PhD, I would like to study [specific topic of interest].

My research interests in [topic] align closely with your work on [specific aspect of advisor’s research]. I am particularly fascinated by your [specific work] because [reason for interest].

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss a PhD opportunity with you via email or phone. I have attached my CV and would be happy to provide additional information if needed. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
[Your Name]