Teaching and professional activity

Teaching

Most of my courses address public communication of science and technology. Here are some of my recent syllabi (content often changes from year to year; note that links within syllabi may not all work — some require Cornell University library access, others have no doubt died over the years):

Professional activities

Much of my time is spent helping build the scholarly community of people exploring public communication of science and technology. From 1998 to 2003, I was editor of the journal Public Understanding of Science.  I was a founding member of the International Network on Public Communication of Science & Technology, and continue to be active at its meetings (the 2020 meeting will be in Aberdeen, Scotland).

I also spend a lot of time interacting with the science community, helping integrate science communication into its culture. I was the 2010 chair of the “Societal Implications of Science & Engineering” section of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. From 2006 to 2009, I served as co-chair of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences study on Learning Science in Informal Environments. Several years later, I served on a follow-up committee that produced Communicating Chemistry in Informal Settings (2016). A couple other activities that contribute in this area include:

Last modified: 14 August 2018