Current Members

Principal Investigator

Katja Poveda

Associate Professor
Department of Entomology
4126 Comstock Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY14853-2701
USA

kap235@cornell.edu

Postdocs

Alexander Chautá

Graduate Students

Hayley Schroeder

Intensive agriculture is pervasive on a global scale, often transforming complex, biodiverse natural landscapes into simplified monocultures. My research investigates how this landscape simplification and the resulting shifts in insect communities lead to changes in wild plant traits ranging from chemical and physical defenses to floral traits and self compatibility. I’m also passionate about science communication and educating the public about the value and fascinating biology of insects (and weeds!). I completed my Bachelor’s at the University of Georgia.

Annika Salzberg

I am a PhD candidate working on both local projects in the Finger Lakes region and an exciting meta-analysis project involving collaborators all across the globe! I am broadly interested in how insect functional traits vary across a gradient of simple to complex landscapes, and subsequently affect crop damage and yields. I’m passionate about connecting growers and researchers to produce useful science, and love doing educational outreach for the general public! When I’m not in the lab or the field, I co-run an art business with my labmates Lilly and Chloe, paint murals, and rock climb. I completed the first half of my undergraduate degree in Biology at Haverford College, and the second half in Entomology at Cornell University.

Chloe Cho

My research interests include how local and landscape factors impact natural enemies and their potential to provide biological control and other ecosystem services in agricultural landscapes. I’m passionate about science communication and collaborative science that works with growers and the general public to drive useful, inclusive, and accessible science. Outside of the lab, I love hiking, backpacking, and camping, and am excited to explore what upstate New York has to offer! I completed simultaneous Bachelor’s degrees in Genetics & Plant Biology and Data Science, with a minor in Food Systems, at the University of California, Berkeley.

Lilly Elliott

My research goals include reducing reliance on conventional agriculture by increasing the appeal of sustainable agriculture as an improved alternative. My general interests include agroecology, integrated pest management, and improving soil health. My previous work involved harvester ant cover crop seed preferences and determining characteristics that could be associated with their distribution in peri-urban matrices using RStudio and GIS. In my free time I like to draw, cook, and pin insects. I graduated with a B.S. in Environmental Science and a Masters in Agricultural, Environmental, and Sustainability Sciences from from the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.

Anna DiPaola

I am a PhD student in the Power lab, co-advised by Dr. Poveda. In my work with the lab, I am one of the lead researchers on the Seedcorn Maggot project, working directly with growers across New York State to find effective ways to monitor and control this prolific pest. In my spare time I enjoy reading and rock climbing. I received my Bachelor’s from the University of California San Diego.

Technicians

Shea Crowther

I graduated with my B.S. in Zoology and Entomology from UW Madison in 2019, and am finishing my Master’s from MSU Boseman in Entomology, where my thesis is on the alfalfa leafcutting bee and the effects of imidacloprid and temperature and on their development. In the Poveda lab, I work on insect identification for multiple lab projects. In my spare time I enjoy cooking, hiking, and hanging out with my dog Markus.

Alexa Stratton

I graduated from SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry in 2020 with a B.S. in Forest Health. I’m very enthusiastic about forest pathology and urban forestry. More specifically, I am interested in the relationships between fungus, insects, and trees. In my free time I like to go herping and fossil hunting with my corgi, Mr. Spock.

Sophie Nasrallah

I graduated from Swarthmore College in 2020 with a B.A. in Biology and a minor in Theater. I’m passionate about ecology, science outreach, and working with animals. In the Poveda Lab, I work with plants, insects, and soil to support a variety of lab projects. Outside of the lab, I enjoy reading a good book and hiking with my dog, Caffeine.

Undergraduates

Ella Kellner

I am an undergraduate entomology major broadly interested in beetles and their impacts on ecology, agriculture and people. I am also interested in science communication! Currently, I am assisting with the Seedcorn Maggot project in the Poveda Lab. In my free time I enjoy insect collecting, hiking, watching sitcoms, and reading.