Skip to main content



How New Technology spreads (in 5 stages)

Link: https://ondigitalmarketing.com/learn/odm/foundations/5-customer-segments-technology-adoption/

This article is about the five stages of how technology is adopted in society. For starters, it begins with the innovators, followed by the early adopters. After the innovators and early adopters adopt the new technology, the early majority of the population begin to adopt the new technology. After the early adopters come the late majority, and then finally the laggards. Once the laggards adopt the new technology, everyone is now using it.

One thing that I like is that with each of these five stages are the fact that there are percentages attached to them. For example, the laggards make up 16% of the population. As for both the early and late majority, they each make up 34% of the population respectively. Thus, the early and late majority as a whole make up 68%, which is understandable since they are the majority. On the other hand, the early adopters make up 13.5% of the population, and the innovators make up the smallest portion at 2.5%. If you combine both the innovators and early adopters, they make up 16% of the population. If you compare that to the majority, at 68%, it can be easy to tell that having an entire population adopt a new technology is difficult. It has to be something that is immensely beneficial to the majority or advertised in a way that makes the technology look very valuable to obtain to sway everyone to go for that new technology. In fact, this short article revolves around the topic of diffusion where we learn how a new technology starts off with early adopters and is gradually acquired by the whole population overtime if this new technology is immensely valuable or helpful for the majority of the population.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Blogging Calendar

November 2018
M T W T F S S
« Oct   Dec »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Archives