Game Theory for Computer Games Design

http://journals.sagepub.com.proxy.library.cornell.edu/doi/pdf/10.1177/1555412017740497

This particular work was very interesting to me because it covered the intersection of game theory and game development. I have played many games and have even designed some of my own and when I first heard about game theory I started thinking of the possible applications, whether in design or in making decisions while playing a game. In particular, if you take into consideration a fighting game in which characters can block high and low against an adversary who can attack high or low, you can see that we have the makings for a payoff matrix WITHOUT a clear nash equilibrium. This is because the reward for getting a high or low hit as player 1 and for blocking high or low as player 2 is the same. We have to start looking at aspects of the actual player such as how often they tend to block high or low or hit high or low. In this way, analyzing the pros and cons of a particular action and calculating the preferable choice is certainly a topic that has a lot of potential applications.

This is obviously related to recent material in the course. Particularly, Nash equilibrium. The journal discusses it and even references, although not by name, mixed Nash equilibrium. It mentions that when there is no Nash equilibrium, they need to incorporate some measure of randomness, just like we discussed in lecture! It uses ideas from mixed Nash equilibrium to draw conclusions about how progression and choice should be developed and accounted for in game development. It also expands concepts of game theory to practical application which we have discussed in the case of the Prisoner’s Dilemma. If you have any thoughts on the matter, I’d love to read your comments!