Game Theory, New Way of Getting Jobs

According to an article, “How games, social media are changing the way people get hired,” as companies find novel ways to recruit creative and intelligent employees,   firms such as Knack   has chosen to use online games as part of their interviews to test the applicants’ abilities.   The founder and CEO of Knack, Guy Halfteck asserts that choices that the applicants make in games such as ‘Wasabi Waiter’ reveals the applicants’ true selves. Wasabi Waiter is a game in which the player is the sever making decisions depending on the customers’ characteristics. Based on the decisions that people make in the game,   interveiwers compare   traits such as resistance, empathy etc. with those who are successful.

Getting a job has become more than just writing one more line of extracurricular- activities in one’s resume. Although testing a candidate’s true ability by analyzing one’s decisions in a certain situation is a more effective way to see one’s genuine side than lines of extra-curricular activities , I believe it does not perfectly portray a person. A virtual game and real life situation are distinctly different. People may consider games as a more casual occurrence than  actual problems, thus, behaving differently from what that person may actually do. Although we have looked at Prisoner’s Dilemma in lecture, I wasn’t sure who or what will benefit from getting data of people’s decisions from Game Theory in reality. This article has clarified my curiosity and extended my insight on the various ways that Game Theory  may be applied to.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/how-games-social-media-are-changing-the-way-people-get-hired-1.3194664