Transferring into the Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management!

Well, dear readers, I have big news to share: I have successfully transferred into the Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Yes, that’s right–I have changed colleges and majors, halfway through my undergraduate career. While this may shock some people, given how much I’ve praised my Arts and Sciences coursework, I am 100% sure that this is the right academic fit for me. Now let me explain…

The second I arrived on the Cornell campus two years ago, I knew I desired a more practical focus to my education. I had applied to other undergraduate business programs as a high school senior, and had an innate passion for entrepreneurship and business.  Sure, I’ve had fun in my sociology, astronomy, and literature courses…and I love that the College of Arts and Sciences allowed me to take courses in literally any subject imaginable. Yet, looking back over my 4 semesters, my favorite classes/experiences have been centered around business in some way. I’ve worked in online advertising for the Cornell Sun newspaper, held an administrative position in my business frat, and have listened to speakers like the Vice President of CNN and Secretary of the Treasury Hank Paulson.

Coming to the realization that AEM was the right school for me sophomore year was tough, because I wasn’t sure I’d be able to successfully get into the program. I had read the statistics–12% freshman admission rate, and an “EXTREMELY competitive” internal transfer process (the admissions websites’ caps, not mine). To say that I had spent many a night last semester fretting about whether I’d get in might just be an understatement.

Yet, just last Friday, I got an email saying…

Congratulations! The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed your Internal Transfer application for Applied Economics and Management, and it was approved. I am pleased to welcome you for the fall 2012 semester. 

I was in shock, and let out a huge sigh of relief in my cubicle. I’m excited to see what my next semester will bring, now that I’ve got a new college and multitude of course offerings to explore. For the most part, I still stand by most everything I wrote in this post when I declared the economics major: it’s just that I’ve evolved and realized over time that applied courses like managerial economics, trade policy, and emerging markets interest me more than courses such as game theory or econometrics.

10% of Cornellians transfer between colleges each year, and I’d like to think that researching/going through this process has made me a pro. So, if any prospective or current students have questions about the process, feel free to get in touch!

2 thoughts on “Transferring into the Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management!