Birthdays in College

Whoa.

On March 8, I turned 20. This means I’m halfway to 40, a year away from the drinking age, and am no longer a teenager. I’m still kind of in shock that I’m that¬†old; 20 always seemed so far away.

The thing about birthdays in college is that, well, they’re definitely different from birthdays in high school. It’s not that I don’t have awesome friends here who recognized it–because I certainly do–but rather, it’s just a much more low-key feeling. Sure, you get a ridiculous amount of wall posts from your friends and family, and amazing packages from relatives (among the highlights: a box of Dr. Pepper Jelly Beans), but for the most part…it’s just another day of classes and work. Everyone else is doing their own thing, too, and life went pretty much as it always does.

So what did I do? Well, I had two 75 minute classes, went to the library, and had dinner in Alice Cook House like I always do. If I was at home, I might’ve been going out to dinner with my family, or done something else special.

At the same time, though, I don’t feel like I need all of the celebratory stuff that I received the first 18 years of my life. It’s a special day, sure, but meh…I’m becoming more than content with heartfelt messages rather than birthday parties/events that characterized my childhood.

I guess I am growing up…