Meet Dr. Megan Barry, 2024/2025 Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Intern!

Dr. Megan Barry, Maddie's® Shelter Medicine Intern, 24/25
Dr. Megan Barry, Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Intern, 24/25

Dr. Megan Barry, a Long Island, NY native, is excited to fulfill the role of Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Intern for the 2024/2025 academic year.

Barry is a graduate of Michigan State University, where she completed her degree in veterinary medicine. Following graduation, Barry went into general practice in Brooklyn, NY for one-year but then decided to follow her true calling of shelter medicine.

The fulfillment of helping animals that don’t have a voice, as well as providing access to care to clients that don’t have the means to provide the care that their pets need. It’s been a point of strife for me, where I do believe that everybody should deserve to have pets. Having pets is the best part of life. I feel like I’m going to find the fulfillments that I’m looking for through this by being able to provide for people and animals that otherwise wouldn’t be getting care.

Dr. Barry in surgery.
Dr. Barry in surgery.

Barry is looking to build her surgical skills during the course of the internship, as well as expand her education in population medicine. “I’m hoping to come out of this a really proficient and confident surgeon, so that I can provide high quality surgery to my patients in the future.”

Her dream job is to work at a well-funded shelter, so that she can continue to perform high quality medicine and diagnostics for people that can’t afford it, coming full circle with providing access to care.

Welcome aboard, Dr. Barry!

#ThankstoMaddie 🙂

FUN FACTS:

Dr. Barry enjoys hiking, pilates and considers herself a crazy cat lady!
She is on her second rescue of owning a Cornish Rex.Dr. Barry holding 2 cats.

print