Meet Our 2021/2022 Maddie’s® Shelter Student Employees!

We are very fortunate to have support from Maddie’s Fund each year to employ veterinary students to support our clinical work at the SPCA of Tompkins County as well as our clinical research programs!

Alyssa CoteAlyssa Cote
Originally from southern Vermont and a graduate from the University of Vermont, Alyssa received a bachelors degree in animal science and a minor in wildlife biology.

Alyssa has always had a passion for shelter medicine, which stems back from high school. Now as a second year veterinary student at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, she has the opportunity to gain even more experience for a three-year-term as one of Maddie’s® Shelter Student Employees in the work study program.

At the shelter Alyssa is responsible for providing a variety of treatments to the animals, such as administering fluids, monitoring appetites and performing intake exams on new animals.

Growing up wanting to be a vet, one of my biggest things was wanting to help animals and I grew up with rescue dogs my whole life. I want to improve the welfare of animals and help homeless animals and that’s continued through my work and undergrad with shelters. I’ve come to really enjoy a lot of aspects of that kind of medicine; the population medicine, neonatal care and also the high-volume surgery atmosphere.

While practicing shelter medicine can take an emotional toll, Alyssa says that this work study experience has been invaluable and has helped her gain confidence with her clinical skills before starting her clinical year.

After graduation, Alyssa hopes to return back to Vermont where she sees herself being involved with a shelter to provide high-quality, high volume spay/neuter services, assisting families with low-income to provide essential care to their pets, and providing preventative care for her community overall.

Savannah MartinSavannah Martin
Originally from Maine, Savannah moved to Pennsylvania for her undergraduate degree at Delaware Valley University. Savannah received a bachelors degree in biology in just three years and then took a gap year to apply to veterinary schools.

After welcoming an invitation to attend Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, where Savannah is a first- year vet student, she accepted a position as Maddie’s® Shelter Student Employee.

Like Alyssa, Savannah helps triage animals when they first arrive at the shelter and provides any and all necessary vaccinations and preventative medications, such as flea and tick and heartworm prevention.

Originally when I grew up, I actually had a lot of involvement in the shelter, because my mom worked in a shelter for over 20 years now. So we were always fostering animals, and I was always going to the shelter with my mom on my days off. I knew that I wanted to be a veterinarian. I had decided that in high school.

Savannah describes shelter medicine as a very rewarding experience that allows her to witness a variety of cases and species that you may not otherwise see in a general practice setting. She also gets to see dramatic change and growth for the better, from the initial intake of an animal, to the adoption stage.

In shelter medicine, you really get the chance to slow down and talk to people about what they’re doing. It’s a great opportunity to learn and it’s a great opportunity to have your voice heard.

After graduation, Savannah says her dream job would be a shelter veterinarian position.

We are very grateful for Maddie’s Fund for supporting these students in their journey to becoming shelter veterinarians.

#ThankstoMaddie

print