Externships in Shelter Medicine: CU vet student Renee Staffeld gets hands-on experience at Richmond SPCA

Thanks to funding support from the ASPCA, we have been able to offer travel stipends to several Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine DVM students interested in experiencing unique hands-on training in shelter medicine through externships at different shelters around the country. Today we will hear from Renee Staffeld about her externship experience at Richmond SPCA. A big thanks to the ASPCA for supporting our students and the growth of shelter medicine! #sheltermedicinesaveslives

This June, I completed a two-week externship at the Richmond SPCA from the 18th – 29th. During that time I rotated through primary care surgeries as well as general shelter medicine and the behavior department. My days in surgery included dog and cat sterilizations as well as mass removals and hernia repairs. I was supervised by Dr. Angela Ivey, the SPCA Director of Veterinary Medicine, as well as Dr. Jaime Infantes-Ward, staff shelter veterinarian. During my days in general shelter medicine I performed intake exams on incoming animals and helped with procedures. During my time with the behavior team, I observed how the dog’s behavior is monitored and how they manage common behavioral issues such as severe anxiety, aggression and fear.

The Richmond SPCA has a full animal behavior department. I spent time with Jackie Laubacher, their staff behaviorist. She develops behavior plans for all the dogs that are having issues. I was able to attend their weekly behavior meeting where they discussed every dog and cat in the shelter that was having a behavior issue. The meeting included all of the shelter managers. The meeting was a chance to update each other on an animal’s progress and discuss changes to their current behavior plans. I was really impressed by their organization and dedication to improving the life of each animal. A strong behavior department makes a huge difference and I hope I find a shelter after vet school that puts as much emphasis on it as they do.

I also learned that it is possible to be part of a very successful shelter without feeling burnt out. They are very adamant there about people leaving at a reasonable hour. There were days when I offered to finish up intake exams or help with other tasks, but they insisted I go home, telling me that my life outside my veterinary job will be, and is important, too. They told me that there will always be more to do at the end of the day but unless there is an emergency situation happening, then it can wait. Looking back on my experience now I think that this is a big reason why they are a successful, large-scale shelter. They have developed ways to prevent their employees and volunteers from burning out. I could tell that people enjoyed working there and that many had been there for a long time.

It was amazing to see how a large-scale SPCA operates. Just a few years ago they opened up a non-profit veterinary hospital for low-income people in the area. Although I did not work on any publically owned animals, I was able to interact with their staff veterinarians and technicians. I learned a lot from all of them. My time at the Richmond SPCA has been the highlight of my summer so far. I am incredibly grateful for the chance I had to spend time there, and for the ASPCA Externship grant that made it possible. 

-Renee Staffeld, Cornell University DVM student

print