Meet Anlly Palacios ’18

My name is Anlly (pronounced Ann-Lee) and I am a first-year CIPA student. I was born and raised in Queens, New York to Ecuadorian parents. I earned my B.A. in Sociology from Binghamton University, while completing a minor in Spanish. Before starting the MPA program here in Cornell University, I was a summer intern in the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. Currently, I work in the Office of Academic Diversity Initiatives (OADI), where I am the Graduate Programming Assistant to the OADI Research Scholars Program.

I decided to pursue a degree, and hopefully career, in public policy because I am passionate about making a positive change in someone’s life. I am not sure in what capacity or what sector of the public field I want to work in, but I know that a profession in helping people is where I am meant to be. As such I am currently trying to keep an open mind to different opportunities that may come my way. I say all of this to say that flexibility was very important to me when I was applying and considering different professional programs. CIPA was ultimately my first choice because it allows us CIPA Fellows to construct our degree in accordance with our goals and interests. However, there is still an element of structure when it comes down to taking courses that will provide us with transferable skills that we’ll need in any given industry or career. My concentration is still undecided, but I am leaning towards Public & Nonprofit Management or Social Policy.

My first few weeks in Ithaca were a little rocky. Granted, changing homes, having to meet new people, and learn about new places can be a daunting process. But my CIPA cohorts and staff in the OADI office have helped make the transition a little more enjoyable. With my prior experience living away from home I have learned to reach out and ask for help, so coming to Cornell, I knew I could find resources by just asking. So that is what I did when I was not sure about the transportation, where the library was, etc.

And just to finish up with some fun facts about myself. I love pizza, anytime, anywhere. I am a big fan of video games, particularly RPGs and visual novels, and my favorite hobby is going to the movies.