Meet the Faculty: John Foote

CIPA Visiting Scholar John Foote is a Research Fellow at the Taubman Center for State and Local Government at Harvard’s Kennedy School. The co-founder of a transportation engineering company specializing in intelligent transportation systems and services, he has 12 years of experience as a public finance banker both in the U.S. and in Asia. He oversees the CIPA Graduate Certificate program in Infrastructure Project Management and Finance (IPMF).

1.     Why would you encourage students to attend CIPA -vs- another graduate policy program?

I tell prospective students that Cornell’s approach to MPA education is unique as it allows a student to take full advantage of Cornell’s many world-class strengths. Students have the opportunity to develop a curriculum that melds fundamental public administration skills with subject matter expertise, whether it be food security, conservation, infrastructure, etc.  I caution students, however, that to seize this opportunity, a clear and explicit curriculum plan should be put in place prior to matriculation.

1.     What do you enjoy most about teaching at CIPA?

The students are diverse, committed and excited to be at Cornell.

1.     Briefly describe your research and teaching interests.

My research and teaching focuses on the funding and financing of  infrastructure—transportation, water, energy, telecom, etc.

1.     What specific course(s) do you teach for CIPA students?  What skills do students take away from your course(s)?

I teach a course on infrastructure finance. The course begins with the fundamentals of finance, moves through the process of evaluating and financing a project, and looks at various techniques and options to finance the asset. Infrastructure finance, however, is not just financial engineering. There are important public policy aspects to the design and implementation of a financing program. The course examines public policy questions that are central to the provision of public goods and services.

1.     What advice do you have for students who want to make the most of their two years here?

The two years goes by in an instant: know before you start what you want to accomplish, have a plan to achieve it, and take full advantage from day one of everything Cornell has to offer.  

1.     Where are you originally from?  How long have you lived in Ithaca?

I grew up outside of Philadelphia, graduated from Cornell in 1974 and then went to Wharton where I earned my MPA. My wife and I live in Boston and we have a home in Ithaca where we spend as much time as we can.

1.     What’s your favorite Ithaca restaurant and why?

My kitchen—I love to cook.

1.     What one fun activity would you consider a “must-do” for students during their tenure here, in order to  get the full Ithaca experience?

Find every waterfall in the environs of Ithaca (among a thousand other things—Ithaca is a treasure trove of experiences).