Chapter by Chapter:
Front matter – Acknowledgements, dedication, table of contents, preface.
1) Introduction to Soil Management – Understanding soil health, physical, biological and chemical properties of soil.
2) Soil Testing – Sampling procedures, test options, choosing a lab.
3) Understanding Your Soil Test Results – Soil test recommendations, interpreting results, checklist.
4) Correction of Preplant Soil Problems – Adjusting pH, preplant phosphorus, potassium, and other nutrients, organic nitrogen sources.
5) Foliar Testing and Sampling in Berry Crops, Visual Symptoms of Deficiencies – When to sample, which leaves to sample, advantages and shortcomings.
6) Interpreting Foliar Analysis Results – Standard nutrient ranges, interpretation checklist
7) Correction of Nutrient Problems in Established Berry Plantings – Nitrogen management, choosing N sources, timing, placement, phosphorus, potassium and other nutrients and micro-nutrients..
8) Applying the Cornell Soil Health Test to Berry Production – Soil aggregates, available water capacity, field penetration, biological indicators, other tests.
9) Improving Biological and Physical Soil Properties in Commercial Berry Plantings – Adding organic matter, carbon cycling, crop rotation, cover crops,
10) Environmental impacts of nutrient use – Runoff, leaching, Minimizing impacts, Management – Environmental loss processes, erosion and runoff prevention, strategies for reducing nitrogen losses.
11) Future Nutrient Management in Berry Crops – Fertigation, water monitoring, soilless media, diagnostic tools.
12) Soil Management Using Ecological Principles and Soil Health Management – Agroecology, whole systems approach, pro-active soil management.
Appendices – How to determine your soil type, calculating fertilizer rates, fertilizer composition, micronutrient sources, nutrient content of organic materials, cover crops.
Project funded by the Northeast Region, USDA Sustainable Agriculture Research and Extension Program (NESARE)
View Webinars on Related Topics:
Berry Soil and Nutrient Webinar Series – View and listen to online web seminars on berry soil and nutrient management:
- Webinar Series Introduction
- Introduction to Soil Management
- Soil Testing
- Interpretation of Soil Test Results Prior to Planting
- Correction of Soil Problems
- Foliar Testing and Sampling
- Interpretation of Foliar Analysis Results
- Correction of Nutrient Problems in Established Plantings
- Soil Health Assessment
- Improving Biological and Physical Soil Properties
- Environmental Impacts of Nutrient Use
- Future Nutrient Management in Berry Crops
- Future Soil Health Assessments and the Economics of Nutrient Use
- Berry Soil and Nutrient Management – The Basics
- Building Soils for Better Crops – Sustainable Soil Management – Practical guide to ecological soil management providing step-by-step information on soil-improving practices as well as in-depth background—from what soil is to the importance of organic matter. View free online version [14 MB .pdf].
- Comprehensive Assessment of Soil Health – The Cornell Framework Manual (3rd edition 2016) From the Cornell Soil Health website.