There’s a Top Chef in DC

At Cornell I had the luxury of eating lunch and dinner at any one of 20+ dining halls and food courts. I could go when I’d want and where I’d want. I could ask for food ranging from sushi to spaghetti to French dip and once in a blue moon some sirloin steak would be thrown in. The food would be prepared for me, I’d eat it, and then I’d bring my tray, plates, silverware, etc. to the conveyor belt that goes to the kitchen where everything is cleaned for me. Forget all of that here in DC unless I want to go out and eat every day and night. Instead I’ve become quite the cook (and dish washer) using the knowledge I’ve learned from the 20 years of living at home, the two seasons of Top Chef I’ve watched, and the countless Alton Brown “Good Eats” shows I’ve watched on the Food Network.

Tonight, all of that knowledge culminated into the best dish I’ve cooked since I came to DC. It was so good I had to talk about it on this blog. I’ll warn you right now, the description won’t be anything you’ll find at a 3 star restaurant, but it was nonetheless amazingly delicious to eat – some carefully cut tenderized beef round sauteed on olive oil and garlic and braised with a combination of lemon juice, Chicago steak spice, soy sauce, and sugar, placed on top of jasmine rice, and served with a side of romaine lettuce salad with carrots, croutons, and balsamic vinaigrette. Man was it good. I don’t even know if I used the cooking terms correctly, but I do know that I am Top Chef Season 4 material. Jenna, you should tell the Hotel School that there’s a cooking prodigy at Cornell.

2 thoughts on “There’s a Top Chef in DC”

1. haha, love it– I’ll let the Hotel School know. Meanwhile, my at-home cooking skills are limited by what I can throw on my George Foreman….
    PS: we miss you!