The Most Powerful House of the Most Powerful Branch in the Government

Yesterday marked only my second class of History of the Senate taught by Dr. Betty Koed and I know it will be one of my favorite classes at Cornell. Out of Dr. Koed’s mouth spews loads of information that I wish I could absorb all of it but am relegated to the fact that unlike Webster, Clay, and Calhoun (The Great Triumvirate as we learned) I am a mere mortal. Nonetheless, I try my mortal best to obtain as much knowledge as possible, which is how I came to the conclusion, with the help of Betty of course, that the Senate is the most powerful part of our government though throughout history their influence waxes and wanes (somewhat obvious but it’s the second day). Aside from the actual class Betty is like your friend’s mom who is so nice she always serves you dinner whenever you come over (Cesar this is you–you’re the friend). Not only did we get chocolate before class because she knew we’d be tired after a long day at work but she took the effort to know our names by heart (second day of class mind you), know our research paper topic (which is for a separate class), where we’re working, our major, where we’re from, and what year we are. She wrote all this down on three pages of paper. This wasn’t a casual ice breaker conversation. Afterwards, she proceeded to tell us if she comes across any information that might help us with our paper she would lend it to us and knowing how stressed we were, she announced two of our four readings would be for skimming purposes only. How thoughtful is that!? She reminds me of that favorite high school teacher and/or counselor who wanted nothing more than for you to get into your top choice college.

One thought on “The Most Powerful House of the Most Powerful Branch in the Government”