Lynah Disappointment

The hockey season ended this past Saturday when Cornell lost to Quinnipiac 3-2 in the ECACHL quarterfinals. Cornell lost the series 2-0, which was a surprise since Cornell had previously only lost 5 playoff games when playing at Lynah Rink. Including this past weekend, the total went to 7. Nonetheless, you could feel the disappointment in the arena when the young and somewhat inexperienced team was swept in two heartbreaking losses (the first loss being 1-0 in OT). I am not one to complain about referees, but, to be quick on words, they were not good… in fact, very disappointing, even depressing. I had the privilege to go to both games despite my past suspension of season hockey tickets. The first game I sat on the townies’ side, which was a great experience as I got to watch the student section and their chants. Now I know why Sports Illustrated ranked us as the toughest place to play last year. It’s a very intimidating atmosphere. Nonetheless, the fans can only do so much.

To end on a bright note, however, the team, as I mentioned, was very young and except for seven seniors, everyone will be returning. Next season should be a gem to watch. The Cornell lacrosse team is currently ranked #1 in the nation ahead of the likes of Johns Hopkins, Duke, Army, Notre Dame, and Syracuse. We are right now, THE best (not to jinx them of course).