The Cold

This past Tuesday, including the wind chill, it was -17F, without the wind-chill 7degrees. I came to Cornell not worried about Ithaca winters because I liked cold weather and snow. But Tuesday was the first time ever that I walked outside and my eyes immediately began to tear. One time, and this was at 2:30pm so the sun hadn’t even started to set, I took a step outside, took a breath and my chest literally burned for a couple of seconds, like that burning you get in your throat when you’re running on a brisk November morning. The Ithaca school system cancelled school due to the wind chill. I thought that stuff only happened in Minnesota. Just fyi, I’m not complaining, only merely stating a first time life experience that I will remember when I think I’m cold in New Jersey when its 37F.

Hopefully, that didn’t scare everyone away since another important event that happened on Wednesday was the Provost’s address to the University (think State of the Union speech but only about Cornell). I didn’t have the opportunity to go since I was in a meeting nor the opportunity to watch it over the internet since I had two prelims this week, but nonetheless, it is a positive effort in establishing and strengthening the relationship between the University and the student body, a tie President Skorton wanted to focus on during his tenure as President of the University.

4 thoughts on “The Cold”

1. Alright so this comment is almost completely off topic, but what the heck, here’s my question:

I’m a prospective Cornelian, I’ll find out if I got accepted (and if the FA is good enoughf or me to be able to go) in about a month. One of the other schools I applied (and was accepted into) is Notre Dame. I like that it has a lot of community aspects. My question is, does Cornell? I know it might be harder being pretty large (at least for a 1st tier school). Can you find a great niche of friends without pledging a fraternity or is it a necessity…because I don’t think i really want to.

Thanks a lot for your help and maybe I’ll see you in Fall 07!

2. Hey Alex, its me again. That is some crazy weather! Central Illinois has some weathers like that too. Like the day we moved out to Oregon, there had been an ice storm the night before and it was -15F or something. All the people packing our stuff had a tough time. But out here in Portland it never goes below 32F. Kinda sad cuz snow is rare.

And to Phillip up there, I just wanted to say hi cuz I applied to Cornell and ND too! From what I hear, Cornell is pretty great and it is easy to make friends as long as you get involved in stuff like clubs and student organizations. It doesn’t necessarily mean you have to pledge to a fraternity (which I don’t even remember if they have any), it just means you have to find a group of people you can hang out with regularly to make the whole meeting-new-ppl thing easier. And your roommate and ppl in your dorm would be an easy place to start too. I hope to see you at either Cornell or ND. =]

3. Hi,

Just accepted my offer in the Cornell Grad school. The only thing that was delaying my decision was the cold factor…but I decided to put that behind and give in my acceptance hahaha and then I read your message:) not that this would change my decision anymore. Looking forward to being there. Cant wait.