AAP NYC Visits Governors Island

This past weekend the undergraduate and graduate AAP NYC students had the tremendous opportunity to make a final visit of the season to Governors Island. Ten of us met AAP NYC’s E.D., Bob Balder, and new AAP City and Regional Planning Prof. Tom Campanella, at the Battery Maritime Building at 10AM for the first ferry of the day.

Below check out my nifty Twitter map of our visit and a few video clips from the INCREDIBLE vintage French amusement park that was operating on the island for the summer.

(A clip of a historic early turn of the 20th century French amusement park ride in Nolan Park at Governors Island. This ride is part human powered. Participants pedal Flintstones-style to make the ride work!)

Below is a Twitter map of sites and facts we learned while on the island.

Another fun French amusement and details on the amusement park…

Published by:

Max Franklin Taffet

My hometown is Boulder, Colorado. Though it's small with a population of just 100k, isolated smack in the middle of the United States, I think it's a pretty good spot. We've got the Rocky Mountains out our back door and 300 plus days of sunshine a year. At other moments I've resided in Boston,MA; Vancouver, Canada; Graz, Austria; and La Esperanza, Honduras. Now, home is Ithaca/NYC. After nearly three years learning about the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors as a researcher for a community foundation, in Fall 2012 I started graduate school for a Master's of Regional Planning at Cornell University. My current interests within the field of planning are land-use, economic development, and real estate. Particular passions are navigating constituencies and complex regulations, and the process of creating infill development. Fall of 2013, I'm based at Cornell's Architecture, Art, and Planning Studio in NYC. While here I am taking 15 credits of course hours and interning with New York City Economic Development Corporation. My projected graduation is spring 2014.

Categories Max TaffetLeave a comment