Long time, no blog.

I know. I know.

I have no excuses. Well, no good ones, anyway.

Instead, I offer some brief updates about what’s been going on lately.

Events Calendar Upgrade

I wish I had better news, but the truth of it is that the project is delayed. As you may recall, our timeline initially had a September launch date.

There have been some issues with the server environment necessary for the latest release of Bedework and it’s going to take some time to get them resolved. We’re hoping to go live in January instead (fingers crossed, please).

Meanwhile, Ken and Zac have been working on skinning the public interface to be a nearly exact replica of the current calendar on cornell.edu. It’s pretty darn impressive, if I do say so myself.

We actually have a meeting this afternoon to discuss the administrative interface, which has been re-skinned and re-worked a little from that with which the current calendar users are familiar. All for the better, the easier, the more streamlined, I promise.

Life on the Hill Blogs

Here, we have good news! We finished hiring for the student blogging project last month and I’m pleased to say that there are two major firsts:

1. For the first time since we launched in 2006, we will have all of the undergraduate colleges represented.

2. And, for the first time ever, we will have a Freshman blogging from the moment she lands on campus.

Next year, there will be nine bloggers, total (up one from this year, which was up two from the pilot year of the program). I have been calling it “The Year of the Menfolk” because (another first, I suppose) we skew decidedly male in our demographic–six to three, in fact. Let’s hear it for the boys!

Zac is in the middle of a redesign for the Life on the Hill page on cornell.edu and early comps are looking great. Expect something fun and different from anything we’ve done before.

And I have spent a goodly portion of my recent days assiting one of the students in getting his blog set up early so he can jet off to a summer dig in Tuscany without worry. Jealousy does not even begin to descrivbe my feelings on this matter.

cornell.edu Changes

How strong are your powers of observation?

Notice anything different about the homepage, lately?

No? Go on, take a look. We’ll wait. [HINT: Scroll down. Way down.]

Look at that. The “Any person…any study” quote that used to be in the grey bar under the pano images has been not only moved, but expanded to it’s full glory.

Currently, it’s linked to the page for the University Mission Statement, but we are gathering content for a new page about the quote itself–both history and intent. You can expect that to launch sometime over the summer and I will, of course, make mention of it here.

Any blog…any tagline,

Lisa

1. jane says:

thanks for the update lisa.. :)