This only happens once every
fifteen, ten, three years, you know…
In the time I have been at Cornell, I’ve had the chance to see three presidents come and go and it’s always exciting to watch it happen from somewhere behind the scenes. When we were planning the ceremonies for President Lehman, I was treated to dozens of meetings and strategic sessions and, yes, I even got to taste the ice cream before it was released to the public (a little too much coffee, not enough chocolate for my tastes). This time, I have been entirely on the sidelines and that’s been just fine. Here’s a little taste of what Carrie has been busy with lately, though. (Sadly, no ice cream is involved.)
- There will be a set of special Inauguration panos for the home page; covering ceremonies past and (I think) present.
- An image gallery will be built and added to as the day progresses.
- After the inaugural address is given, the text of the speech will be available online (but not right away).
- (and this is the coolest thing, I think) A video crew will be roaming campus gathering “moments” of film (or, you know…digital imagery) and we will be compiling them for a series of clips available for download. No details on the formats yet (vod casts? movies?), but this should be a really neat look behind the scenes.
In other news, I hear a rumor that the new ice cream is Banana-Berry Skorton; a “jazzy chocolate-based premium ice cream flavored with banana and a raspberry swirl”. I am dubious about the bananas, but at least there isn’t any coffee involved.
- The Law School. This site was built by IWS in CommonSpot and the only word I can come up with for it is GORGEOUS. Once it launches, I will post again with notes about some of my favorite features.
- College of Art, Architecture, and Planning. I haven’t been privy to any of the comps for this site, so it will be as big a surprise to me as it will to you all.
- There will also be a site for the Capital Campaign to be launched at the end of October. Details as they become available.
Two more items of note:
- Our friends across town launched a new website last week. Congratulations, Ithaca College.
- Fellow ivy-leaguers Brown have a redesign of their site in public beta. Check them out if you have the chance. It’s a bold way to put your design out there for comments, that’s for sure!
The rumors of my death were greatly exaggerated,