Capstone Project Turning into a Popular Wine

When I was accepted into Cornell’s Viticulture and Enology program in 2011, I eager for the Fall 2011 semester and for my first VIEN courses to start.  As I looked at the curriculum and requirements for graduation, I saw that I needed to complete a capstone project.  I brain-stormed during my freshmen year on what I would do; in November 2012, I came up with the concept of Redhead, a new line of wine with a modern label.  I decided to use Redhead and record the process of initiating a new wine into the market.  I did not expect for Redhead to gain such popularity in the few short months it has been available; Redhead was launched October 2013 at L’uva Bella Winery.  For my capstone, I have kept a journal that recorded each step of the process including the concept, label approval by the TTB, deciding on the wine style, the winemaking process and how I gained resources to help my wine become successful.  I recently was selected to receive advice from start-up companies, Hello Perfect and Successify, which discuss with me how to make my product successful.  Both suggested that I create a twitter handle for Redhead (@Redheadwine) and an Instagram account (@Redheadwine) to gain an audience.  A wine blogger in California, Brittany Levine, who writes for Wine for the Win blog, recently reached out to me.  She featured me in one of her posts.  I have included a link here: http://wineforthewin.com/2014/01/15/marisa-sergi-the20-year-old-vintner/  I am glad to see that my capstone project is doing well and I encourage all VIEN students to attempt to try to work on projects that they can potentially use for research or carry over to their jobs when they graduate.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.