Hop Head Farms

Summer 2017 has flown by…

I meant to write blog posts earlier about working with Hops as well as our very own Matt Gura (V&E, ’14), but he kept us busy! As a young farm manager, he isn’t too far removed from how it feels to be leaving school and wondering if the skills we have developed over 4 years will give us an edge over other applicants, so he knows what skills he would have liked starting out. This alone has made the internship at Hop Head Farms one of the most valuable experiences I have had. It has been the skills I’ve learned in this internship that have made me feel that I could go out into the workforce and be a strong candidate for an assistant manager position. Classwork can only take you so far in the field of Enology and Viticulture, at a certain point only experience can teach you what you need to know.

Day to Day Tasks:

Scouting for Pests, checking irrigation lines, laying out irrigation, training plants, pushing strings, fixing irrigation leaks, scouting for pests, fertigating, weeding, organizing, cost analyses of pesticide usage, mowing, drywalling (gotta love rainy weeks), planting, scouting for pests, measuring internode lengths, driving tractors, re-palleting boxes of hops, driving forklifts, scouting for pests, smelling hops, and scouting for pests!*

*(Any future hop head farm intern; read the above list and this pretty much sums up your entire summer.)

Most of these tasks are fairly self explanatory, but I’ll talk more about scouting for pests. As you may have gathered it was one of the more prominent tasks on our weekly list of things to do, but it was also one of the most important tasks that the interns were responsible for. Pest and pathogens if not monitored and controlled will overwhelm your crop faster than the blink of an eye (mild exaggeration). Downy mildew, powdery mildew, potato leaf hopper, aphids, red-spotted spider mites, hop looper, flea beetle, japanese beetles, and more all became a daily occurrence. Trying to estimate the economic injury level and how much more the yards could handle was really interesting and I was able to draw on knowledge from Grape Pest Management (which I believe I already mentioned in a previous post).

Harvest!!

August  7, 2017 marked the beginning of harvest with Centennial. As anyone who has participated in a harvest you know that processing your product quickly and efficiently is necessary in maintaining quality. The second day of harvest was rough (as of 11/12/2017, nearly three months after I still feel it). Picking out leaves from centennial hops at 4:30am in the morning was nauseating, I came ever so close to throwing up. Now, when someone cracks open an IPA, double IPA, etc that memory comes roiling back, not an enjoyable association.

My project!

I was able to work with multispectral images to try and pinpoint problem areas within the hopyard. Using NDVI and other vegetation indices along with a healthy amount of ground scouting I attempted to discover the reason for variation between specific locations within a block of hops. Below are images from one of the farms:

Upper left being NDRE: (The normalized difference red edge index (NDRE) is a metric that can be used to analyse whether images obtained from multi-spectral image sensors contain healthy vegetation or not)

Upper right being NDVI: used to evaluate whether land has live vegetation or not.

Bottom right being DSM (digital surface model): essentially the elevation/terrain of an area.

I was able to use all of these images to go into the field and see areas that had issues, sometimes I was able to figure out what was going wrong but for the most part, the specific reason for variation remained a mystery.

Overall this was a phenomenal internship experience that I would highly suggest to anyone interested in growing a specialty crop!

This entry was posted in Connor Roberson and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.