Today we split up: Brian worked in the cellar getting samples and I worked in the lab for the first time. We started by calibrating and setting up all of the equipment. We ran a lot of VA tests using a cash still, as well as took pH and TA; we took SO2 measurements using an automated machine. I was shown how to record the sample numbers, enter them into the computer, and where to report the results. I was also shown all their guidelines for practice and allowed to photocopy pages that I thought might be useful to have. Besides the automatic equipment, the cash still was the only piece of equipment that I had not used before. I observed the whole process and participated in most of it–we still have a few lab days left so I will probably get more practice throughout the week.
We also disposed of some old samples and removed labels from the bottles.