THE ARCHIVE

[cornell.architecture.live]

STATISTICAL WOES

As if things couldn’t get worse, the Daily Sun published an article on Monday discussing the average starting salaries of Cornell graduates. As you can see, the future is rather bleak for those of us in the College of Architecture, Art and Planning (#4) who can expect to make significantly less than our collegiate peers. Although the numbers are difficult to refute, the graph itself is misleading and I decided to write a letter to the editor expressing my concerns.

graph1

Here’s my letter as it appeared in today’s issue of the Daily Sun:

To the Editor:

Re: “Cornell Class of 2009 Grads Find Fewer Jobs, Earn Less Than In Previous Years,” News, April 19

I glanced at the cover of Monday’s Daily Sun and was dismayed to see a bar graph entitled “Starting Salary for Cornell Grads by School.” Not only does this chart point out that my fellow architects and I will be getting paid far less than other Cornell graduates next year, but it does so in a graphically irresponsible manner. The problem is that the bottom of the graph has been chopped off without indicating a new baseline value. Believing that the x-axis of the graph is zero, we get the impression that students in AAP earn a mere quarter of what one might earn after graduating from the College of Arts and Sciences, and only 8 percent of the starting salary of engineers!

The fifth-year architecture students are stressing out about thesis right now, and this visual affront on our livelihood is unfair. My best friend nearly cried when she looked at the graph and I had to explain to her that the situation is not as bad as it may seem. We can expect to earn about $37,000 next year, which is more than half the starting salary of our rivals in Duffield Hall. And although we are doomed to a low-paying career, it is clear that there will always be a need for our graphic skills.

TL ’10

3 Responses to “STATISTICAL WOES”

1.   Mary Cae Williams Says:

Bravo, for pointing out the dysgraphic nature of this picture. While the news is not good, it isn’t nearly as bad as the truncated picture leads the eye to see. I get pretty annoyed by this kind of pictorial disinformation. It just reminds us that we need to actually think about what is put before us…don’t just glance at the pix and think you know what you have seen.
    :0
    Keep up your spirits while you roll into the finish. I know you will do a fine job!

2.   max weisbrod Says:

tim, I have found you without looking for you. “you always meet twice”