ILR to the NHL

After his final collegiate ice hockey match – a dramatic double overtime duel won by top-seeded Quinnipiac University March 17 – Nick D’Agostino ’13 was struck by time’s incessant march.

“It seems like just yesterday I was just a little freshman and now it’s hitting me that my career here at Cornell is done. It was pretty emotional after the game. Just like that, we lost and the season was over,” he said. “What I’m going to miss the most is playing in front of the Lynah Faithful alongside some of my best friends.”

A team tri-captain, D’Agostino sparkled on the ice for four years. Now he is negotiating a contract with the National Hockey League’s Pittsburgh Penguins for the next two seasons. “It’s an exciting time,” he said. “It’s obviously something that isn’t done overnight, and it’s a pretty unpredictable process.”

If he and the Penguins can’t reach an agreement by Aug. 15, D’Agostino becomes a free agent. His study of labor negotiations and collective bargaining at ILR might give him an edge.

After playing professional hockey, D’Agostino plans to pursue a law degree and stay involved in sports: “After all, sports is a business, and the presence and strength of professional league unions and management have created conditions where people with an expertise in labor relations are needed.”

– Mary Catt, ILR School