Sundance gets the Beat

“Kill Your Darlings,” a movie written by assistant professor Austin Bunn, is one of 16 narrative feature films chosen for the U.S. Dramatic Competition at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, Jan. 17-27 in Park City, Utah.

The film about a group of Beat Generation writers stars Daniel Radcliffe as Allen Ginsberg and focuses on the 1944 murder of David Kammerer (Michael C. Hall) by Lucien Carr (Dane DeHaan), a key member of the original Beat circle that included Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs. The cast also includes Jennifer Jason Leigh, David Cross, Elizabeth Olsen and Kyra Sedgwick.

“I’m thrilled and so honored to have the film selected – getting into Sundance is a screenwriter’s dream,” says Bunn, who teaches dramatic writing and screenwriting in the Department of Performing and Media Arts.

“John (Krokidas, the director and co-screenwriter) and I starting working on this script seven years ago, and the credit goes to him for never losing faith in bringing this story to life. I feel like our baby is one step closer to being born and I can’t wait to share it with audiences. Apparently, I also need to shop for a fashion-forward parka.”

– Kathy Hovis