Career Fair Perspectives

Last week was career fair week at Cornell. From Tuesday to Friday, companies across all industries were on campus to recruit Cornellians. I interned at Microsoft this past summer and received a full time offer to return to Microsoft after graduation. Having a good offer in hand completely changed my approach to career fair. In years past, I would go to the fair and hand out my resume to any company which seemed even remotely interested (or just had nice freebies). But this year, I knew exactly what kind of full time roles and companies I’m interested in.

I interned as a Product Manager intern at Microsoft and really enjoyed the role. The product manager is an interface between the customer and the engineering team. Since Microsoft is a large company, direct interaction with the customer was limited. So I want to explore start-ups and small companies where I can have direct customer interaction and also learn about the broader business. Essentially, I want to wear different hats and learn a wider range of skills than I can learn as a developer. To that end, I applied to Start @ A Start-Up, a conference to connect students on the East Coast to top start-ups. The conference is scheduled in the 2nd week of October. By the end of October, I should be fairly certain about where I will be headed after graduation. *Holding my breath until then*

1 thought on “Career Fair Perspectives