Graduate Student Spotlight-Fall 2020: Wanheng Hu

What is your area of research and why is it important?

My research examines the interactions between artificial intelligence (AI) technologies and their social and ethical contexts, especially in the domain of healthcare. I am very interested in how various stakeholders make sense of, develop trust in, and allocate accountability to medical AI tools. I will primarily draw upon empirical case studies in China, and my dissertation project will investigate how the credibility and accountability of AI tools are negotiated in clinical practice, and how such social dynamics shape their technical trajectories.

Recent developments in AI, especially machine learning, promise to change many domains of expert practice, one of which is healthcare. And machine learning algorithms are also increasingly shaping many aspects of our lives including online advertising, hiring, college admission, performance assessment, etc. Studying the development and implementation of medical AI technologies provides a promising opportunity to enhance our understanding of issues such as algorithmic knowledge production, the nature and credibility of expertise, occupational impacts of automation technologies, the governance of algorithmic decision-making, etc.

What inspired you to choose this field of study?

While still an undergrad based in a medical school, I was also very interested in social sciences and humanities and studied sociology as a second major. I was first exposed to STS scholarship during my master’s program in History and Philosophy of Science and Technology. I was initially fascinated by the relativist and constructivist ideas in STS and was very excited about its empirical approaches to unpacking how science shapes and is shaped by our social lives.

Tell us a bit about your recent awards and recognitions. Also, how will the awards help you with your research?

Recently I was awarded a Hsien and Daisy Yen Wu Scholarship by the Graduate School, in recognition of my academic ability and performance. I also received a Hu Shih Fellowship in Chinese Studies from Cornell East Asia Program and a Timothy Murray Graduate Travel Grant from Cornell Society for the Humanities. Both the fellowship and the grant will be used to cover the expenses of my dissertation fieldwork in China. These awards will provide substantial resources for my dissertation project and acknowledge the significance of the research topic.

What are your hobbies or interests outside of your research or scholarship?

Many! Basketball probably comes first. I play basketball regularly with my friends and I find that it has been playing a very important role in my physical and mental health. I also like photography—Ithaca is just a gorgeous place to take pictures. Besides, I am trying to pick up my childhood hobby of writing Chinese calligraphy. I’ve got all the “Four Treasures of the Study” (brush, ink, paper, and inkstone) with me but just haven’t got much time to write. Last winter I took a skiing class and it was great fun! Recently I have been learning guitar and playing Go. I hope I can improve my skills with some more practice.

Why did you choose Cornell to pursue your degree?

Cornell STS program here has been a flagship in the field. The first introductory book that I read was written by Sergio Sismondo, a Cornell STS alumnus. I’ve also met with a few super nice and helpful faculty members and alumni before I applied, which convinced me that the program was the right place for me. It aligns very well with my interests and research approach. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here with very supportive advisors and awesome colleagues.