highlights to include…
Keynote by Ursula Heise, “Scale and the Novel in the Anthropocene”
Plenary panel on “Theories of the Novel Now,” with Nicholas Dames, Kate Marshall, Ignacio Sanchez Prado, Sofia Samatar, and Jordan Stein
Panels led by Venkat Mani on refugees, Dierdra Reber on post-truth culture, Anne Garland Mahler on the Global South novel, John Plotz on the episode, Jonathan Culler on optional narrator theories….
Closing plenary discussion with Sianne Ngai
Seminars around keywords in the field, including….
- Nancy Armstrong and Tim Bewes: contemporary
- Namwali Serpell with Stephen Best, Glenda Carpio, Nadia Ellis, Uri McMillan, and Ismail Muhammad: BLACK
- Anna Kornbluh and Oded Nir with Kasia Bartoszynska, Bruce Robbins, and Phil Wegner: totality
- John Marx and Jesse Rosenthal with Tess McNulty, Kalyan Nadiminti, Richard Jean So, Ted Underwood, Megan Ward: data
- Jen Fleissner with Amanda Anderson, Chris Freeburg, and Andrew H. Miller: interiority
- Kelly Rich, with Janice Ho, Caroline Levine, Sangina Patnaik, Jill Richards, and Michael Rubenstein: infrastructure
- David Coombs and Elaine Auyoung with Jonah Siegel, Anna Henchman, and Jonathan Kramnick: empiricism
- Yoon Sun Lee with Pardis Dabashi, Elaine Freedgood, Billy Galperin, Brian Richardson, and Wendy Xin: plot
- Talia Schaffer and Elsie Michie with Daniel Hack, Michaela Bronstein, Jos Lavery, Anna Maria Jones: memory/influence
- Jed Esty and Paul St. Amour with Rachel Buurma, Tommy S. Davis, Nathan Hensley, and Nirvana Tanoukhi: genre/scale
Chris Holmes and Tim Wientzen with Sarah Brouillette, Stephanie DeGooyer, Urmila Seshagiri, and Christian Thorne: limit
- Amanda Claybaugh and Jen Spitzer with Martin Quinn and Shirley Wong: detail
- Beth Blum with John Lurz, Günter Leypoldt, Emily Lordi, and Megan Quigley: charisma
Seminars on novels….
- Deidre Lynch and Katie Trumpener: Madame de Lafayette, La Princesse de Cleves
- Julia Chang and David Kurnick: Benito Pérez Galdós, Tristana
- Ulka Anjaria and Aarthi Vadde: Vivek Shanbhag, Ghachar Ghochar
- Rebecca Walkowitz and Martin Puchner: Yoko Tawada, Memoirs of a Polar Bear
Award-winning novelist Helena Viramontes will do a reading followed by a conversation with critic Dean Franco.
Questions? Contact cel235 at cornell.edu