highlights to include…
Keynote by Ursula Heise, “Scale and the Novel in the Anthropocene”
Plenary panel on “Theories of the Novel Now,” with Nicholas Dames, Kate Marshall, Ignacio Sanchez Prado, Sofia Samatar, and Jordan Stein
Panels led by Venkat Mani on refugees, Dierdra Reber on post-truth culture, Anne Garland Mahler on the Global South novel, John Plotz on the episode….
Closing plenary discussion with Sianne Ngai
Seminars around keywords in the field, including….
- Nancy Armstrong and Tim Bewes: contemporary
- Namwali Serpell with Uri McMillan, Stephen Best, Nadia Ellis, Ismail Muhammad and Glenda Carpio: BLACK
- Jed Esty and Paul St. Amour with Rachel Buurma, Tommy S. Davis, Nathan Hensley, and Nirvana Tanoukhi: genre/scale
- John Marx and Jesse Rosenthal: data
- Amanda Claybaugh and Jen Spitzer: detail
- Jen Fleissner: present tense
- Yoon Sun Lee: plot
- David Coombs and Elaine Auyoung with Jonah Siegel, Anna Henchman, and Daniel Hack: empiricism
- Chris Holmes and Tim Wientzen: limit/border
- Kelly Rich and Michael Rubenstein with Caroline Levine: infrastructure
- Anna Kornbluh and Oded Nir: totality
Seminars on novels….
- Deidre Lynch and Katie Trumpener: Madame de Lafayette, La Princesse de Cleves
- Julia Chang and David Kurnick: Benito Pérez Galdós, Tristana
- Ulka Anjaria and Aarthi Vadde: Vivek Shanbhag, Ghachar Ghochar
- Rebecca Walkowitz and Martin Puchner: Yoko Tawada, Memoirs of a Polar Bear
Award-winning novelist Helena Viramontes will do a reading followed by a conversation with critic Dean Franco.
Questions? Contact cel235 at cornell.edu