Learning never exhausts the mind. -Leonardo da Vinci
One of the key tenants of IPM is knowing your pests, or potential pests, and risks. Learning opportunities become a valuable tool in helping to prepare for and prevent pest issues from arising. Happily, we live in a time when School IPM training events are easily accessible.
The EPA Center of Expertise for School IPM hosts a webinar series featuring national experts from across the country. Upcoming webinars include:
- February 21, 2017 — More Than Just a Firm Handshake: Bid and Contract Guidance for Securing IPM-Based Services for Schools
- March 14, 2017 — Feed the Kids, Not the Pests: Effective IPM for Cafeterias and Kitchens
- April 11, 2017 — Contending with Invasive Plants on School Grounds
- May 9, 2017 — Managing Bed Bugs in Schools, Childcare Centers and Boarding Schools
- May 23, 2017 — Managing Yellow Jackets and Other Wasps on School Grounds
Previous events covered a variety of topics including IPM 101, IPM resources, bed bugs, head lice, turf grass, cockroaches, ants, ticks, mosquitoes, stinging insects, rodents, and birds. Webinar PDFs are available for all presentations and the recorded webinar is available for many.
The NYS IPM Program partners with local organizations such as BOCES, Cornell Cooperative Extension, and the New York State Turfgrass Association to provide training.
- March 23, 2017 — numerous sports turf sessions, New York Greengrass Association Adirondack Regional Conference, Lake Placid, NY
- April 7, 2016 — School Integrated Pest Management Seminar, Otsego Northern Catskills BOCES, Oneonta, NY
For more events, visit the New York State Integrated Pest Management Program Facebook events page.