052 I fell. I falled.

They say summers in Ithaca are the best, but they all actually mean autumn. It’s not too hot, not too cold, and autumn in Upstate New York helps with Ithaca’s gorgeousness. I’m still finding more and more hidden scenic routes to all my classes, where the leaves are bright red and the air is brisk. Everything is perfect in the fall. A few weeks ago was Apple Fest, one of my favorite things to do in Ithaca. Held in the Commons, hundreds of people swarm local stands for homemade fudge, apple crisps, caramel apples, etc. It’s kind of like one giant farmers market devoted to apples. I’m all for classic festival food too — fried pickles, fried oreos, blooming onion — basically everything fried (ignore the fact that I’m a nutrition major). It’s really a great get together and I love supporting all the local businesses that come out.

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 9.46.07 PM

Oh, and of course the baked goods. Ohhh, the baked goods. So many stands were selling apple pie and pumpkin, I had to scout all of them before returning back to one. The food was incredible!

Speaking of apples, over fall break, I decided to go home for the day. Binghamton is known for its Cider Mill, which is a local business that makes fresh cider and doughnuts! You can actually see the open-kitchen where the doughnuts are being made and you can see the process in which they make their cider. Everything is so fresh and delicious! It’s one of my favorite places in Binghamton. When I was in high school, I would go there everyday for a freshly made doughnut. They’re sooooo good – I could probably eat a bag in a sitting.

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 9.45.11 PM

Brandon and I bought more than a dozen doughnuts and this HUGE pumpkin. I think it weighed over 45 lbs. Which we carved into….

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 9.45.28 PM

…A Pikachu!! I didn’t realize how long it took! We sat in front of my TV and put The Haunted Mansion on while we cut into this thing and scooped out its seeds. We finished the entire movie before we even decided what to carve into it! So we put on Hocus Pocus (classic) and got to work. I think it looks pretty good, if I do say so myself. But ever since we carved this, I’ve been wanting to do it again, until my whole yard is full of them. I really don’t know – I think I just love fall. The crafts, the food, the feeling of pure joy. It’s crazy to think that after all this ends – after the trees are completely bare and the grounds all white with snow – that I’ll be just as excited for the holidays as I am now! I don’t really think I appreciated how beautiful it is here in the fall until this year. Last year, it seemed like so many things were going on that I didn’t even notice the leaves changing colour. But I forced myself to look up when I walked this semester and it’s been beautiful.

This entry was posted in Freshman Year. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to 052 I fell. I falled.

1. Emily says:

Nice pumpkin, Sarah! The Cider Mill looks like a fun place to visit too.