019 Black Magic Cake

Everyone has their birthday traditions. One of my housemates birthdays fell straight in the middle of final exams. It was basically the perfect way for me to procrastinate on what I needed to study. But seriously, I love when birthdays come around. My friends’ birthdays are my favorite holidays. Planning surprises and wrapping presents — It’s all so nice. So when my housemate’s little brother messaged me back saying that her favorite cake was a Hershey’s Black Magic Cake, I was a little surprised. I had never heard of such a thing. It was delicious. It’s a chocolate cake with a cup of coffee. Although the coffee can’t be tasted, it definitely enhances the flavor of the chocolate. I highly recommend! I’ve included the recipe. I covered the cake in chocolate shavings, but I would remember to NOT blow out the candles on this cake if you do add the chocolate shavings. My housemate covered our kitchen in chocolate.

Black Magic Cake

0.5 c Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Salt
2 Eggs
1 c Buttermilk
1 c Strong Black Coffee
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1.75 c All-Purpose Flour
0.75 Hershey’s Cocoa Powder
2 c Sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and Flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes. Pour equal amounts in each pan.

3. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted cleanly. Cool completely before frosting.