Everyone has their birthday traditions. One of my housemates birthdays fell straight in the middle of final exams. It was basically the perfect way for me to procrastinate on what I needed to study. But seriously, I love when birthdays come around. My friends’ birthdays are my favorite holidays. Planning surprises and wrapping presents — It’s all so nice. So when my housemate’s little brother messaged me back saying that her favorite cake was a Hershey’s Black Magic Cake, I was a little surprised. I had never heard of such a thing. It was delicious. It’s a chocolate cake with a cup of coffee. Although the coffee can’t be tasted, it definitely enhances the flavor of the chocolate. I highly recommend! I’ve included the recipe. I covered the cake in chocolate shavings, but I would remember to NOT blow out the candles on this cake if you do add the chocolate shavings. My housemate covered our kitchen in chocolate.

Black Magic Cake

0.5 c Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Salt
2 Eggs
1 c Buttermilk
1 c Strong Black Coffee
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1.75 c All-Purpose Flour
0.75 Hershey’s Cocoa Powder
2 c Sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and Flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil, and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes. Pour equal amounts in each pan.

3. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted cleanly. Cool completely before frosting.