005 Apples, apples, apples

Apple Festival!

My homemade apple pie, and Rachelle and Ana (they’re the best)

Last week, I attended Ithaca’s annual Apple Festival. Although this wasn’t my first Apple Fest, it was definitely a different feel. Last year, I went with a few friends just as something to do on a Saturday afternoon. This year, however, felt like the break was much needed. After a week of prelims, I craved homemade baked goods and Apple Fest was definitely a good source of that. There were over a hundred local vendors selling anything imaginable, from maple candy (oh my goodness) to apple cider doughnuts. It truly marked the beginning of autumn for me. I was a lot disappointed with the apple cider doughnuts, though. I was looking forward to those the most, as I missed them from home. There was such a long line, and I had been waiting for about half an hour, when the vendor told us she had sold out, but more would be back in 45 minutes. During that time, my friends and I walked around some more and shopped a bit. We came back, only to find out it would take another 45 minutes. At that point, we decided to go back to Cornell and continue to study.

Fortunately, when I came back home for fall break this past weekend, I got to go apple picking at Russell’s Farm in PA (about thirty minutes from my hometown). I picked 6 bags of apples! It was so much fun and I’m excited to go apple picking in Cornell’s orchards sometime within the next four years. At the farm, they sold a variety of homemade goodies and local vegetables. I bought 2 butternut squashes that I brought back to Cornell with me, and I’m hoping to make a good soup with them, but I also bought my long-lost love for apple cider doughnuts. They had fresh apple cider (which I haven’t been able to stop drinking lately) to sample and homemade fudge.

I also had my first pumpkin spice latte of the year during fall break. It is truly autumn now.

Returning home, however, made me realize how much I’ve been missing out on. It seems like I just woke up one morning and the ground was covered with leaves. I never even stopped to observe the colors changing. I can’t even believe it’s already the third month of school. Time is so weird here and I feel like Cornell has created its own world with its own measurement of time. I suppose, however, it is good that time moves so quickly here. I’m not looking forward to a long winter.