Ithaca is Gorges

This hike to the Cascadilla Gorge was very beautiful. Since being at Cornell, I have not gone out to see some of the more scenic spots on campus. It was very interesting to hear about the history and geology of this Gorge. One unique fact about the Cascadilla Gorge is the rock formation. The tour guide told us that it is not common in nature for there to be straight lines at 90 degree angles. This type of formation is usually man made. However, the rocks at Cascadilla are all at 90 degree angles and this is because water likes to follow the path of least resistance so that is why the formation is so straight. Another thing that I found interesting was the cost of the upkeep of the Gorge. I did not even know that so much work went into making sure the gorges are safe for exploration and making sure any issues with flooding is accounted for. The tour guide told us that it cost about 2.9 million dollars to maintain the gorge and this is always a changing process which requires constant repair. Learning this fact made me really appreciate the beautiful landscape that surrounds us here in Ithaca.

3 thoughts on “Ithaca is Gorges

1. Cool pictures! I had never thought about all the necessary upkeep for the gorges. It makes me wonder who the people are that do maintenance on them. Are they trained professionals? Geologists? Their salaries also must come from somewhere. My guess would be that there’s some sort of funding coming from the government, but I’d be curious to know how much of it comes from the state and how much comes from the national government.

2. Very interesting! I did not know 90 degree angles were so uncommon in nature. I’m looking forward to hiking the gorges now that its warmer out! (After finals, of course)

3. Cornell is gorgeous and those gorges are extremely beautiful to see. I can never get enough of these places. I am not that surprised on the amount of money spent just to maintain those places. AT LEAST it is well spent and they are doing a great jobs.