Is this really considered Sanctuary?

After getting an email about Cornell’s sanctuary movement, I was excited to hear that the university would be protecting its undocumented students. I have seen other schools doing this as well after scrolling through my facebook newsfeed. I honestly didn’t think too much of the policy until I had the table talk with Esmerelda. I learned that the term “support and defend” means something completely different. It does not necessarily imply that Cornell will withhold any information about their students if they are asked to give it up. I felt a bit betrayed that Cornell would go back on their word or sound as if they’re doing undocumented students a service, because they certainly weren’t. However, I wasn’t so surprised to learn that this would happen. I think most students on campus are under the false illusion that Cornell is protecting its students, but in reality, that can’t be further from the truth. Apparently, there is a petition going around on campus that demands the university should provide more protection for its students. Although I admire the efforts people make to benefit their peers, I am not sure this would have any effect on how Cornell will deal with its policy. Overall, I hope that more people would be aware of this issue on campus and that we will not have to deal with this problem in the future.

One thought on “Is this really considered Sanctuary?

1. Now you take me from the top. Indeed I am part of these groups of students that actually believed that Cornell was protecting its students, at least before I read your posts. That is shocking. I am guessing all the movement around immigrants are just to protect its (Cornell) own administration. However, I agree with you. I am not sure that this petition will do much on the policy.