Interviews: Should answers be scripted?

It’s spring semester, and most of us have already either gotten internship offers for the summer or are undergoing the interview process. As I was applying to a few software and web development internships in NYC, I got a couple offers for an interview. I’m glad I attended this small informational seminar by Sara and was able to get some feedback on how others approached their interviews. Generally, I like to prepare my questions and answers beforehand because I’m not very good at thinking on my feet, or improvising my answers at the spot. I always thought this was the only way I could prepare for my interviews to optimize my experience, but some might think formulated answers might sound robotic or not as genuine. Some of my peers in the seminar agreed that they felt their interviews went well if they prepared their answers in advance because they did not want to stutter or seem unconfident. However, a few people in the room thought their interview experience resulted in a better outcome if they answered the questions without preparing because it made them seem more sincere. Although I can see why this can be a better approach for some people, I have always felt more comfortable if my answers were a bit scripted. I tend to stutter when I can’t think of an answer right away and that small slip up would make me nervous throughout the entire interview. Overall, I thought this seminar was useful for helping people decide their own personal approach on how to interview with potential employers and gain perspective on how they can improve their experience.

One thought on “Interviews: Should answers be scripted?

1. I usually find myself more comfortable speaking in an interview with less preparation. To me, it seems that it’s easier to focus on the interview as a whole and adapt to changes from the script if I’m improvising my responses. I get more nervous trying to remember exactly what to say. I can understand the opposite sentiment as well, though, and I think it’s probably the combination of both of these tactics that yields the best outcome. We would ideally want to know what we want to say in response to a question, maybe more vaguely, and then use the context of the interview to create a relevant, genuine response in the moment.