The Matrix: A Paradigm Shift on Reality

During Flora’s Friday Films, we watched The Mattrix, a movie about machines taking planet Earth over and using humans as power sources, while placing them in an alternate reality. A computer hacker named Neo becomes aware of this fact when he encounters a group of humans who have been fighting the computers, and their control over humans. By becoming aware of the true nature of the world that he lived in and believing in that fact, he and the other rebels can access supernatural abilities otherwise unknown to them. As I watched the matrix, some interesting thoughts on reality came to mind. Is reality as absolute as we really think? Or is it more subjective? Neo and his friends would be considered insane by the other humans , but their assessment of the world would be correct. On the other hand, the computers, could have presented a different reality to them, and they are in fact still sedated, and being harvested on. In addition, one of the rebels betrayed the others, in exchange for a memory wipe so that he could return to the old world. By choosing a reality that he preferred, does that make the original reality the true one for that particular rebel? Or is he just choosing to live in ignorance? The matrix made me rethink my thoughts on reality- and think about the integrity of my own… just a little bit.

One thought on “The Matrix: A Paradigm Shift on Reality

1. Hi Jerry,

Interesting thoughts on the film. I definitely feel the same way, because that stuff gets deep, deep, deeper than telekinesis. Either way, I feel like I I’m 99% confident this reality is the real one, so you don’t have to worry one little bit about it.
    And if I’m wrong, then I guess you’re right about the whole we choose our reality thing. I would definitely want to be woken up though, even if this “reality” was more pleasant, because living a lie seems pretty rough if you’re conscious of it.