Coffee moments

I arrived at Gimme! Coffee earlier than the rest of the group that Saturday. I had just gone to the Ithaca Friends of the Library Book Sale [A success; I bought all of the Haruki Murakami books on the shelves], and I sat alone in the coffee shop for a good 15-20 minutes waiting for everyone to arrive by bus.

The moments before they arrived:

1. I sat by the window and read my book, a rare and peaceful instant; time was calm, faded.
  2. Well, now that I remember: I walked in and I saw someone who went to my high school working at the counter. This was not too surprising; I went to high school 45 minutes away from here.
  3. The little girl next to me asked the man on the other side of me how he was doing, to which he replied, “Alright.” They had a nice conversation which I half listened to. [I tried not to eavesdrop but it was quite hard not to seeing as I was sitting right in between them.]

When everyone finally walked into the coffee shop, we all sat at a long table and wrote down our coffee orders. I ordered a small latte, perfect for a rainy day. We made small talk, but I hate small talk, so I mainly listened to everyone else’s stories and blurbs about themselves.

One thought on “Coffee moments

1. Hello Sophia,
    I was at the coffee chats so I am just interested in why you felt as though the conversations we had were small talk. I don’t mean it in a questioning way but I am genuinely curious. After all, perhaps it is due to my major (AEM), but I feel like I am vastly exposed to small talk all throughout my career here at Cornell.
    To me, I didn’t feel like sharing personal stories about coffee, or discussing the motivations about popular authors small talk. But perhaps I am swayed in my definition of what is small talk because I am too often surrounded by conversations that only involve majors, career aspirations, and the parties that people plan on attending that night.