SUN Coffee and Fair Labor

Keith Lemnios, the CEO of Sun Coffee came to speak to us about Sun Coffee’s marketing strategies and the new frontiers they are approaching. As a current marketing student, this Cafe was particularly interesting to me.

Mr. Lemnios spoke about his companies effort to partner with universities. Sun Coffee takes pride in its ability to maintain and practice good labor laws and fair trade practices. Since university students are more concerned about advertising for just labor laws and fair trade practices, this partnership greatly benefits the company.

It was interesting to hear Mr. Lemnios to speak about his insight on marketing. He mentioned that more and more, consumers are concerned about how the products that they consume are being produced. The background of the product is becoming as important as the product itself. It was refreshing to hear the the CEO of such a successful company put so much emphasis on fair labor practices.

3 thoughts on “SUN Coffee and Fair Labor

1. I would actually be really interested in learning about some of Sun’s just labor practices. I always feel a little bit guilty when drinking coffee just because the farmers who grew the coffee beans often don’t get compensated in the amount they should be. But, if there’s a company that treats the coffee bean partners fairly, then of course we should support them! Thanks for sharing.

2. Hi Aaliya, this was a really interesting post! I am not involved with business in any way, but many friends of mine are starting to care about where their products come from. Personally, I avoid certain brands and organizations because I disagree with how they get their end product (hello Ugg boots). However, I can’t help but feel cynical about the whole idea of businesses caring where their products come from. Maybe a smaller business based in a liberal area of the country would be able to pull this off, but large corporations are another story. To be competitive in the market businesses need to offer the lowest prices possible, because the sector of society that cares about humane products is very small. Still, it is heartening to hear that some companies do care and do try to cater to that sector’s needs. Thanks for sharing!

3. I would also love to know more about Mr.Lemino’s practice of good labor law. I feel like it is often hard to define what a good labor law practice is, besides keeping of moral integrity and proper financial compensation to work hours. It’s also a big relief to know that the coffee I drink every day is produced fair trade! The coffee business is so corrupted and definitely good to know that Cornell is supporting ethical food production practice.